Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Cannot recover from that horrible incident!

Cannot recover from that horrible incident!
by Deleted User on Feb 04, 2016, 10:41AM

Hello! I am currently single. I had a relationship and am slowly recovering from it. It was 3 years back. My boyfriend and I were tripping and we met with a horrible accident. He died in my hands. Sometimes I feel that he is near me and he still lives. Sometimes I feel incomplete and alone. I have attended many counseling sessions and it had helped me to some extent. I think I need a partner to share my emotions. My friend suggested a matchmaking services ( http://www.premierintroductions.ca/our-services/ ) in Toronto, Premier Introductions. But I feel guilty. Am I doing injustice to my love? I had promised him to be his wife and live my entire life. I am confused. Please help.

Reply: Cannot recover from that horrible incident!
by cmcginnes12 on Feb 06, 2016, 03:50AM

Wow. I feel for you. I lost my husband to cancer almost 10 years ago. Sometimes I feel him close to me and most of the time I feel so isolated. When he was dying, he made me promise to get help when I needed it. I broke that promise. On October 22, 2010 I shot myself in the head with a 357 and hollow point bullets. Miraculously I survived, but it’s been a tough recovery. I also felt guilty. I asked God’s forgiveness and that from my friends and family. Having received it, I forgave myself. I have love in my life again, and hope. I think that your love would want you to find the same. Best of everything to you.

by ldjohnson58 on Feb 10, 2016, 01:52PM

A traumatic event ended my husband’s life 6 years ago. It can get lonely and waves of sadness can make it seem like it would be nice to have someone else to help carry that, but in truth I know the best relationship I can have is with myself, and it’s important to work on my residual challenges around the event (which was violent) before I am truly able to be a good partner for someone else.

by bmunsky on Apr 14, 2016, 09:57PM

Thank you for having the strength to share your story with the TSN and other Survivors. The physical wounds we get from our trauma eventually turn to scar and heal. The mental wounds can leave scars that we never let heal. My trauma lead me to discover the power our mind, our thoughts, emotions and who we are being in the world has on our physical health and ability to recover from a trauma. Everyone of us is different, but similar because we are human. It’s normal to wonder how or why these things happen. Feel guility or a bunch of other negative emotions that leave you in state of helplessness. For over 5 years after my trauma I brought my past, my trauma, into my future by constantly thinking about what already happened and about what might happen next. Doing this either left me depressed or having anxiety. Thinking that way stopped my brain from releasing hormones necessary to heal and caused it to release hormones that made my injuries, infections,and overall health worse. It almost killed me more times then I can remember. Losing a loved one or going through any type of trauma can either knock you down and keep you there or give you the strength to rise above anything and open up a world you didn’t see before. For me the first step to getting there was to accept what happened and who I am now. I hope you find peace and start to be happy again.

by Davidjack on Oct 06, 2018, 01:14AM

Nope, I don’t think you are doing bad here. Yeah, it would wrong if you cheat with your boyfriend. But the important matter is he is no more. So why will you wait? I think you need someone right now in your life. Why will you remain single?