Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Fear of driving

Fear of driving
by Cupoftea on Sep 28, 2017, 06:09AM

I’m just wondering if any other MVA victims are scared to drive again post accident. I am so nervous and anxious riding as a passenger and have only driven twice after my accident, it’s been nearly 9 months since it happened. Family and friends keep telling me to try driving again, and attempt to motivate me towards this goal but they don’t understand, they weren’t in the last car that crashed. I wonder what I should do, I don’t just want to give up on driving altogether, it’s a huge part of my life and independence. As soon as I sit in my car and start the ignition I freeze and a flood of memories come rushing back as if I’m trapped in my car all over again. Physically I’m able to drive, mentally is where I need to work on. If anyone would be so kind as to suggest ideas on how to overcome this fear please feel free, I need help in this area of my life.

Reply: Fear of driving
by change on Jan 07, 2018, 04:49PM

So sorry you were in an accident. It can be difficult driving again after an accident (was for me). Sometimes it’s helpful to take small steps; like don’t start out driving 20 miles, start out just driving around the block (literally). It’s okay to need time .

Reply: Fear of driving
by Hanouna on Jan 20, 2018, 05:46PM

Hello, I am little late replying to your post but I just joined this forum. I hope you are driving already, but if not, I wanted to share my experience with you. I too had a car accident February 2012 that left me paralyzed from chest down and I couldn’t wait to gain my independence back by doing everything I was able to do prior to my accident, especially driving. At first I was very worried and scared but the need of that feeling of independence was stronger than the hesitant/scary feeling. What I know is that you try to go to a shopping mall where there’s plenty of space and when it is not busy at all with other cars and practice to first gain your confidence, then try to drive in rural areas, if there are any close by until you get super comfortable and slowly start driving short distances where there is more traffic. Just avoid highways in the beginning until you get more comfortable/confident. Your feelings are very normal and the good thing is that it will go away and you will get there. Everything takes time but where there’s a will, there’s a way. The main thing to remember is to not let the crazy drivers intimidate you, I personally take my time especially if it’s snowing, and if anyone is in a hurry they can pass me. But the feeling you will get of being free when you do drive is amazing, especially when you don’t have to ask people to take you and be with you all the time is what I loved the most. Driving is one of the biggest steps of feeling independent for me and I pray that you will get there very soon, just follow your heart and don’t push yourself, what you are feeling is normal and expected, it took me a year to finally deciding to do it. I just told myself not to allow my fear keep me from reaching my goals and went for it. I wish you the best of luck!