Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Can a trauma victim recover by watching what happened to them?

Can a trauma victim recover by watching what happened to them?
by incognito987 on Aug 30, 2018, 04:45AM

I know this isn’t the place for fooling around, but I just want to get some help with my question. I’m a bit inexperience with this, so I came here looking for some answers. Can a person that has experienced trauma recover by watching what happened to them? Like let’s say a um veteran got trauma from being shot at. He will recover by watching people being shot, the same way he was. In action movies or something.My theory is that with all those movies, the victim will begin to be desensitize or become the norm of this. Eh who knows. If you know someone or are someone who has recovered via this. Tell me, how long was the event ago and when did you start doing that. Also how long does trauma last for. It’s very silly I know, but I want to know if this is true. I already know myself, its impossible for something like this to happen. One more thing, what are the chances of the victim to go around and do the same to others? For their own reasons, not in spite of revenge. Or does it depend on the kind person. Of course, I already know.

Reply: Can a trauma victim recover by watching what happened to them?
by EileenFlores on Sep 05, 2018, 04:51PM

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/therap… Thanks for reaching out to the TSN. Great questions. Please visit the link above from the National Center for PTSD. One of the therapeutic treatments for trauma survivors with PTSD is Prolonged Exposure Therapy. This type of therapy needs to be guided by a trained mental health professional for the safety of the survivor. A mental health professional can also talk about the cycle of violence and how a survivor can move forward in recovery without being violent themselves. A good resource to help find a local counselor is: https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help or by calling 1-800-662-HELP (4357). Cheering for you in recovery!