Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Sick of hiding

Sick of hiding
by chelsea on Jun 26, 2019, 03:21PM

I was in a car accident on July 14th, 2017. I fell asleep at the wheele which resulted into me crashing into a guard rail. I broke my tibia and fibula, shattered my ankle, and my main artery was severed. I’ve had a total of 6 surgeries. I now have a rod in my leg, screws and a plate. They did a skin graph that only took 70%. I e recovered fairly well except for the fact I don’t have complete range of motion in my left ankle and I live with pain daily. Some days are better then others. The one thing I’m still struggling with is showing my scar. It’s a big scar so it’s not easily overlooked. I haven’t worn shorts in 2 years nor have I swam. I have a son who is 5 and he LOVES to swim. IM SICK OF HIDING. I tell myself “who cares what others think” but I do. I care. I don’t want people staring at this awful scar. I’m looking for some suggestions on how others have coped and dealt with their scars. I’m ready to show the world but I’m scared TIA

Reply: Sick of hiding
by katherinejoseph on Oct 07, 2019, 03:33PM

Hi Chelsea, Thank you so much for sharing your story. I just sent you a private message about some ideas I have for you. Talk soon! Katherine

Reply: Sick of hiding
by Jimi on Aug 20, 2022, 04:17AM

I hope time has helped. Wear those shorts. You are not defined by your scar. Take Care