Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Garage door

Garage door
by lgrajzl on Mar 23, 2018, 03:52PM

Our family had a wonderful night out at a local Italian eatery. Everyone had a great time and filled their bellies w/wonderful food. At approximately 1:45 am after this, my son was in a horrific one car accident in which he sustained a traumatic brain injury. He was driving his (piece of junk, in my opinion) truck, was speeding, not wearing a seat belt and was intoxicated, when he lost control on the right side of the road. He tried to correct himself; but, over-corrected. He hit a cement storm sewer, wood and stone fences, flipped his truck end to end and landed in his dad’s neighbor’s yard. He was unresponsive when first responders found him.A family friend realized it was my son and called my ex to inform him. He in turn called me. We rushed to the local level I trauma center where he was taken. A member of the clergy volunteers met us. (What a scary thing!) We saw our son, in the ER, unconscious w/all kinds of machines keeping him alive. He was in a coma for approximately six weeks. He was in four difference facilities before he was able to come home where he needed monitoring 24/7/365 and more outpatient therapies. I firmly believe he was able to receive all the appropriate medical care he needed at the time he needed it. I am so thankful for this. He still works with an occupational therapist and continuing his recovery. This whole experience has opened my eyes to what others experience on a daily basis and to be thankful for all that I have. I try to be there for others and help others – this is not a sprint, it’s a marathon!

Reply: Garage door
by EileenFlores on Aug 17, 2018, 08:22PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Trauma affects the whole family. We’re thinking of you and of your son as you continue through the healing process.