Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Distracted driving project, road accidents, Australia.

Distracted driving project, road accidents, Australia.
by Jade on Nov 20, 2017, 04:15AM

Hi I’m Jade and I’m about creating a project to raise awareness about distracted driving to create a way to try and make a change where I am. I want to listen to people who have been affected by this, and how it’s changed their life. I’ve been exploring ways on how to deliver a message that will make an impact, and to create a project that people will remember and think about whenever they are distracted or see another driver distracted to speak up, that a person driving a vehicle should carry the same responsibilities as a pilot flying an air bus full of passengers. I’d really appreciate the time and opportunity to listen to anyone affected by this, I know this a very sensitive and hard thing to talk about, but I believe the experiences and stories should be heard, I’d like to listen so I can understand the effect it has. This will go towards the development of a project which will be showcased to high schools. If your interested to share your story or experience with me, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Reply: Distracted driving project, road accidents, Australia.
by bmunsky on Dec 26, 2017, 06:34PM

Hi Jade, Thanks for your post about the impacts of automobile driver’s who are distracted while driving and your choice to make a difference. I am still not sure how or why my accident happened. A construction crain, a cherry picker, broke down in the middle of the road in front of me. My truck hit the back of it, which is, literally, a steel wall. My entire body was crushed. I was flown to shock trauma where I spent 2 months in a coma as a result of one of many life threatening and permanently disabling injuries, a severe traumatic brain injury. Most of the bones in my body were fractured, broke, or smashed. Every organ including my heart and aorta we’re torn and bleeding and or bruised and swelling. For the next 7 years I survived over 100 operations to rebuild my body, save my life, fight terminal medical conditions at the same time I learned how to walk, talk, read, write, and do everything all over again that my doctors said someone who is 100% permanently disabled would not be able to do again. IN 2008, while I was still recovering from my trauma, I helped to start the Trauma Survivors Network. I know from visiting with 1000’s of patients that the number one distraction is the cell phone. Which I assume most people know. Since people, including me, are still going to use thier smart phones while driving newer technologies need to be created to allow people to talk or interact with thier phone handsfree. Talking while driving hands free or not hat still seems to cause the driver to be distracted. Talking has their brain muti tasking. Focusing on what’s being said and that same time navigating to thier destination, dodging vehicles, and doing other actions while driving that require thier full attention. It’s proventhat humans perform at a much lower standard while muti tasking. That’s why there’s so many more accidents nowadays resulting from distractions, especially from phones. When it comes down to it all the technology in the world want make a dent in the number of accidents resulting from drivers being distracted. The only thing that will reduce the number of automobile accidents as a result of a driver being distracted or accidents in general is to educate drivers and for drivers to take 100% responsibility. Educate drivers on the dangers of talking on the phone while driving, texting while driving, talking while driving, and any other distractions while driving. Taking 100% responsibility means not depending on other drivers to not talk or text on thier phone as well as do anything else that may distract them while driving. Take responsibility for their self and thier passengers by giving thier full attention to their driving. One simple way to do this is to set up an auto text on thier phone that causes thier phone to not ring while driving and to send an automated text to the caller letting them know they are driving and not available to talk. This and other simple but safe suggestions could be told to new and existing drivers who are getting or renewing thier license. I could keep going on and on about this. Any transformation in the world starts with educating folks and taking 100% responsibility. Best wishes on your journey to make a difference.