Looking for support for my husband...
by bjc8477 on Sep 30, 2019, 02:24PM

Hi there. I am a concerned wife looking for some help for my husband. About 8 months ago he was in a very serious, near fatal car accident. He spent 72 days straight in Shock Trauma, 7 weeks in rehab and two short hospital stays after rehab. He has since been home for 2 months with no further hospital stays. He is seeking treatment for his lasting injuries but nothing for his mental health. Which lately has been very bad. He is definitely depressed and struggling to deal with his situation. Of course I am there for him as I have been along this entire journey. I let him know that myself and the kids are here, how much I love him, how positive the future can still be, that his body just needs time, etc. This doesn’t seem to be helping. I have also tried a little of the “tough love” approach, trying to will him to be stronger, more positive and look at the good things (he’s alive, has all of his limbs, etc.). So far, nothing seems to work. I really think he would benefit from speaking to someone who has also been through or is going through a traumatic injury and recovery. But my husband is very private and to himself. He will not see a therapist or go to a support group. Trust me, i’m trying!! I have looked into local groups, offered to go with, etc. So this is the last thing that I can think of. Although he is not on any social media, he does use his iphone to read a lot, text family members, etc. So I’m thinking that if he can connect to someone one on one, maybe this would work? Please reach out to me if you think you could help or need someone to talk to yourself, maybe you could help each other? Thank you! Not sure if we are allowed to put emails on here but i would be willing to give his direct email and hope that would get him connected.