Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

gunshot survivors? ptsd

gunshot survivors? ptsd
by xamanduhh on Oct 13, 2016, 06:02AM

its been 6 months since the robbery and I feel so alone. has anyone else been through this?

Reply: gunshot survivors? ptsd
by Claire on Oct 22, 2016, 09:16AM

I am a gsw survivor. Mine was an unfortunate accident at home.

by aviashuler on Jul 06, 2017, 05:14AM

I am a victim of a robbery kidnapping and multiple gun shots. You are not alone and yes PTSD is a normal response.

by EileenFlores on Jul 14, 2017, 11:42PM

Even on the days that you feel alone, I hope you can connect with other survivors through the Trauma Survivors Network who truly understand. Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

by mcnelson on Oct 20, 2017, 08:17PM

I was involved in a carjacking gone wrong just under 8 months ago. I had just gotten off of work, I went around the corner to my car and entered it. I was plugging my phone up to charge on the ride home when a young man climbed into the passenger seat and his girlfriend jumped in the back seat behind me. I was told to put the car in park, give them my keys and my phone and get the F*ck out. I put the car in park and as soon as I reached for the keys the young lady in the back pulled the trigger. the bullet ripped through my spine at the L3 vertebrae, it also tore through my large and small intestine. After shooting me the young man and women got out of my car and slowly shut the doors and walked away down the street. My legs went limp after the bullet hit me, as soon as the closed the doors I pulled myself out of the car and dragged myself to the middle of the street hoping and praying that someone would find me before I died. A man had heard the gunshot and had come down from his apartment, as soon as he saw me he phoned the paramedics. Soon as I knew an ambulance was on the way I phoned my mother out of state telling her I had been shot, that I loved her and that I was sorry. After I had left the message on her voicemail I blacked out, waking up once the paramedics arrived doing the best I could to do all they asked of me until I blacked out once more and woke up again in the ambulance to only black out again before we arrived at the hospital. I woke up the next morning in the icu to find I was paralyzed from the waist down. I spent a week in the icu and 3 weeks in therapy learning how to cope with being confined to a wheelchair. I apologize for the length of this of this post, this is the first time I’ve written this out or told everything to anyone. physically things have improved, mentally and emotionally, healing has been slow.

by Rashawn 1995 on Nov 15, 2017, 04:23AM

I was shot in the head in 1995 from a person who tried to rob me. I heal physical but mentally it very tough to get back a normal life.

by Elstad_06 on Dec 25, 2017, 09:20AM

It’s great.

by christiehuber86 on Jan 01, 2018, 12:09PM

I am also a gunshot survivor i was shot in the back Sept 25 2017 i too am having the hardest. my spine is broken the bullet damaged spleen which was removed. The trama team had to repair my pancreas, blatter and stomach. i have been home for 6 weeks from hospital and life hurts mostly and i find myself seeking someone to relate to. i feel alone most the time. i am physically getting better i guess a lil everyday which seemingly is the longest hardest thing i have every been thorough. i often dont see how i will make it out of this but i press forward in hopes ill one day have something thay resembles life again. thank you for sharing i enjoyed reading your post it helped me more then you will know

by Paigemonroe on Feb 09, 2018, 08:19PM

I was recently shot by my ex because I wanted to leave I love him so much but he shot me in my left thigh almost hit my major vein …i need help letting go and starting my new life only focused on me … any advise is thanked…

by cas01 on Sep 25, 2019, 02:00AM

I became a victim of road rage violence on Sunday, September 1, 2019. I was driving down the highway when this car cut me off out of nowhere at a high speed. When I blew at him, he flipped me off and started brake checking me. When I tried to get away from him, he caught up with me and shot his gun into my car. A bullet went through my upper back and exited my neck. To this day, he remains at large and although physically I am doing better, the PTSD that I’ve been left with has affected my daily activities and life. I still have not driven a car since I was shot and many things trigger me to that awful night.

by Ktspecht on Jun 23, 2021, 07:30PM

Can you all please tell me how you were treated at hospital? How long did you stay in the hospital? Were any of you at St. Anthony’s in Lakewood, Co? What tests and or surgeries did you have from the FIRST trip to the ER. The reason I ask is because my spouse was shi5 by our neighbor with an AR15 with a .556 from 29.6 yards away. The neighbor shot at his 3 times with the first bullet passing his face, the 2nd hitting him in the right shoulder and the 3rd across his side. He was air flighted to the hospital as a trauma one facility and he laid there for almost 24 hours before he saw a doctor. He was treated for a broken bone (shattered his scapula and bullet exploded into fragments in his torso…shrapnel in ribcage.) And then discharged after a day and a half. By the time he left that facility and the 5 hour drive home to an elevation of 9000 feet, I had to have him admitted into the local hospital for several days for sepsis, edema and shock. That hospital said he was experiencing anxiety, yet he was in shock for well over a month. His wound was not cleaned and the bullet went through his tshirt thus forcing debris into the wound. He was denied intravenous fluids. He was not screened for a traumatic brain injury, no EMG’s…his brachial plexus nerve was severed (only a 6 month window post injury to get immediate attention), no surgery to retrieve the fragment and his breathing was impaired. He got antibiotics, a script for oxygen and had surgery to remove the fragments. I’ve heard there is a 7 day mandatory stay for a gsw to check for other organ damage, tissue, ligaments, tendons, cavitization, toxicity….he had xrays. What did ya’ll experience? Since then…and the 3 year anniversary is upcoming…as a disabled veteran already before this happened….he went to the VA. Almost 3 years later he JUST did a urinalysis for embedded fragment toxicity. He had an EMG showing problem nerves and severed bp. He got shingles shortly after that, has suffered gastro problems, developed kidney stones, exacerbated his PTSD, gets head spikes, neuropathy, his head gets “Stuck”, he has atrophy (shoulder is paralyzed and scapula is deformed). The injury also created a bone spur on that shoukder which is sharp and painful and his rotator cup in the shoukder was torn. The surgeon stated there is no reason to fix any of that and may cause more damage going in there. Is there some sort of protocol that should have occurred for a catastrophic injury like this? None of my care is a priority and it’s like 20 different doctors for 20 different issues instead of lune one doctor who can check it all. He hasn’t seen a neurologist, he cant do PT, he is in excruciating pain..he has spasms….is this all medical neglect? Very poor quality of life…