Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Stronger than the fire

Stronger than the fire
by Dlin9217 on Sep 18, 2018, 02:54AM

My name is Dylan Lindahl and I’m 26 years old. In November of 2016 I made a big move from Connecticut to San Diego, with intentions of “escaping” my past and starting fresh. The sun may have been brighter in San Diego but it was no escape. The best word to describe my life during this time was “stuck”. I had no plan of what I wanted in life and wasn’t proactive to search for one. After living in San Diego for 10 months, being “stuck” became permanent in my mind in a split second. September 2nd of 2017 labor day weekend while napping, I heard fearful screams from my roommate. As I took sprint to my bedroom door the piercing sound of our fire alarm was sent through my entire body. Smoke filled the rooms and a glowing flame was growing outside our appartment door. Oil was being used to cook with in a pot and it flashed over to flames. My roommate grabbed the pot by the handles and dropped it outside our appartment complex on the concrete. Without thinking or consulting anyone I soaked a bath towel and attempted to smother the fire. Instantly I was splattered with oil and my momentum caused me to fall on top of the pot. My legs became engulfed and I rolled around for what seemed to be minutes but from what I’m told it could have been 20 seconds. Without going into the details of the moments directly after my accident, I will jump ahead. I ended up burning 54% of my body (mainly my legs) 3rd and 2nd degree. I was placed into a induced coma for about 2 weeks and under went several grafting surgeries. I stayed in UCSD medical center for almost 2 months before a 2 weeks stay at an inpatient rehab center until I was well enough to make the flight back to Connecticut for family support. This year has been tough including PTSD/emotional trauma, learning to walk, dressing changes, physical therapy, severe nerve pain, compression garments and back surgery. That being said, through the support of my family and community I am at a point I can honestly say that I am a better version of myself even before my accident. I want my life to consist of helping people reach that same revaluation and understand that trauma is trauma big or small. I hope to be a lending ear and learn from others through this SURVIVOR network. “If you set your value low, the world won’t change your price”

Reply: Stronger than the fire
by EileenFlores on Sep 18, 2018, 06:02PM

Dylan, Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are definitely stronger than the fire. We’re cheering for you as you continue to heal, both physically and emotionally. You are welcome to take part in the upcoming online NextSteps. It’s a free online course and it helps survivors continue to move toward resiliency after trauma. The next course begins early October. https://www.traumasurvivorsnetwork.org/pages/ne… If you would like to share your story and picture under Survivor Stories on the TSN website, please just let me know. I’m happy to coordinate that. https://www.traumasurvivorsnetwork.org/pages/su… So glad you found the TSN and feel free to follow on social media too. Survive. Connect. Rebuild. Eileen Flores, National TSN Coordinator eflores@amtrauma.org P.S. If you haven’t already been to this site, it is an excellent resource for survivors with PTSD symptoms. https://www.ptsd.va.gov/

by Courtbrown96 on Sep 20, 2018, 12:16AM

Dylan, I am sorry about what happened to you. Although I wasn’t in a fire I was in a bad car accident and I had to have a skin graft. I also know what you mean about having to relearn how to walk as I’ve had to relearn 3 times now due to the fact I have to keep having surgeries on my right leg. I completely severed my nerve at my knee so I have nerve damage as well. I have also a noticed a change in me. I also agree trauma is trauma no matter what.

by Dlin9217 on Sep 20, 2018, 01:13AM

Thanks for that! Their is a reason we are all still here to talk about it. Yeah skin grafts were not fun at first haha. Hope all is well.

by Courtbrown96 on Sep 20, 2018, 02:33AM

I honestly think my biggest problem was the scars and the looks I got. I hope everything is getting better for you.

by Dlin9217 on Sep 20, 2018, 03:27AM

To be honest if nobody stares it’s a let down haha. I think it is so cool that my scars can allow me to reassure myself how far I have come.

by Courtbrown96 on Sep 21, 2018, 09:18PM

I know what you mean, I have had to readjust. I wear a brace still on my knee and people will think its recent and they ask me and when I tell that what happened they don’t know what to think.

by BillyFiliault on Jan 29, 2019, 06:18AM

Glad to hear you made it out of that…I’m a firefighter, so burns are not at all uncommon..however, I have never been burned as you. Hope you are doing better now. PS, baking soda is a good grease or oil fire suppressant ;) I am sorry you had to experience that trauma. It must’ve been awful.

by amothersjourney on Apr 22, 2019, 01:19PM

Hi Dylan I am so glad I found your story. I am the mother of a burn victim. On September 3, 2018 , my 20 year old son was trying to ignite a gas grill for a Labor Day weekend celebration and received 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his legs, arms, neck and face. He squinted when he saw the flames which saved his eyesight. He had to withdraw from college during the fall. He was so disappointed with this being his senior year but it wasn’t an option with his injuries. He had to move back home with me and his dad. The good news is that he returned to school in January. For the past few days, he has been feeling a little down. He talks about looking at pictures thinking about how he use to look. He tells me how he can not explain his feelings but he has good days and bad days. I never knew this until 2 days ago. He is almost 3 hours away from home. I have contacted support groups in his area but he tells me how these groups won’t help. I just know that I was supposed to find your story today. So thank you for sharing. I must say I know my son is bigger than the fire that has altered his appearance. I will continue to encourage him to get support.

by atsintern on Apr 29, 2019, 03:40PM

Thank you, amothersjourney, for sharing the story of your son surviving such an event. Getting used to the effects of burns is a challenge many fire survivors in this community face, and so we hope you continue to find encouragement and hope from those who continue to recover — not only physically, but in every other way. I recommend visiting the website of the Phoenix Society (linked below). They offer great resources for burn victims as well. We are thinking of you both today. https://www.phoenix-society.org/?gclid=EAIaIQob…

by Pilot Rich on Sep 05, 2019, 08:52AM

I am so sorry to hear about your son and what he is going through. When I was seventeen, I suffered an 85% third-degree burn, including my face and amputations. Similar to your son, group therapy was never for me; although I do realize that it can be beneficial for others. Looking at “Previous Life” photos of me, I said, “That was me.” “No, that IS you!” the rehab nurse said. I felt like screaming, “WELL, THAT ISN’T WHO I SEE WHEN I LOOK IN THE MIRROR!!” I was furious! Then I realized a few things: 1) My youth was something that was not taken away from me. 2) I don’t know whose life this is, but it isn’t mine! and 3) If I am going to live with the negative weight of this life that I didn’t ask for, then there had better be some massively good things going on in my life to “Balance the Scale.” LOOK for those things, no matter how unrealistic they seem at first, because the closer you get to those good things that interest you, the sooner they become a reality. For me it was cars, boats, college and other dreams. It takes time. My injuries were decades ago, but it still takes me over an hour to get ready; I pay close attention to my appearance (multiple prosthetics, cosmetics, etc.)… AND my day had better be worthwhile! It has been some time, and I hope that your son is doing better by now. I have written a book about my experiences, which you might find helpful. It can be found on a Google search for “INDELIBLE SPIRIT Pilot Rich”. Specifically, he might find some of my coping methods helpful and to see that it is possible to build a good life. Feel free to reach out to me on private message or email.

by Pilot Rich on Sep 05, 2019, 09:03AM

When people ask me about scars, I ask them, “Why do you ask?” Most people do not have a good reason for asking and they end up choking in their words; it also puts you in a position of strength. Personally, I think it is rude to ask strangers personal questions. It can also be very hurtful to someone who has suffered trauma. If it’s a friend or someone at a social event, I will say, “You can ask me about anything but that.” Seriously, there should be so many more worthwhile things in life to be talking about!