Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Coping with a spouse that has anger issues after TBI

Coping with a spouse that has anger issues after TBI
by evanderburg1 on Mar 13, 2019, 08:55PM

Hello everyone, This is my first post on this site and I’m hoping you all can offer some guidance. I will go ahead and summarize my situtation and then let you all know what the current issue is. My husband was in a near fatal motorcycle accident on December 8, 2018. He was in a coma for 8 days and then spent 2 months in the hospital. He suffered a severe TBI, but was very lucky physically. He didn’t break a single bone from his face down. He had seven skull and facial fractures, but those have since healed and he looks just like his old self again. He also had an epidural hematoma and someother smaller brain bleeding. His brain injury affected his frontal and temporal lobes. Thankfully he is about 90% back to normal, cognitively speaking (a miracle for only being 3 months after the accident). The reason I am reaching out is because I have noticed leading up to this argument we got in tonight that he has a difficult time picking up on emotions, and when he gets angry now he flies off the handle and it’s never his fault. Thankfully I am in PA school, so I am aware this is all normal for this type of injury but I am still having a tough time navigating it in homelife. He has an extremely short temper and doesn’t seem to care if he hurts my feelings in the least (very different than how he was pre-accident). I can’t help to feel overwhelmed and alone with all of the stress and I don’t know how to address it with him. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Emelia

Reply: Coping with a spouse that has anger issues after TBI
by EileenFlores on Mar 13, 2019, 09:01PM

Hi, Emelia Thank you for sharing your experiences on the TSN Community Forum. There are many family members and friends of survivors who can certainly relate to what you have described. Would you like to speak over the phone with a TSN Peer Visitor who is also a family member of a survivor with a TBI? Sometimes it helps just to speak with someone who has had the same experiences and hear their encouragement and perspectives. Please e-mail me at eflores@amtrauma.org if you are interested. We’re happy to help schedule with you. Thinking of you and your family today. ** Eileen