Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Help dealing with the anger - hit by car

Help dealing with the anger - hit by car
by StarGirlVee on May 29, 2019, 06:02PM

I was hit by a 17 year old driver who did not wait for me to finish crossing the street in a quiet neighborhood, on a clear day with no other cars around. The driver clipped me and ran me over resulting in a compound fracture of my left tib and fib. My recovery is going well – I can walk now and am returning back to normal life. All things considered I am very lucky. And grateful. But these positive feelings are now being replaced by so much anger and I feel there is no justice and my accident was in vain. Please let me explain. The driver was a minor. She was ticketed for no insurance, no car title and failing to yield for a pedestrian. In traffic court, the judge through out the title ticket and the insurance ticket. On the insurance, she showed an insurance ID card that had the vehicle and her mom on the policy, but not her. The court tried calling the insurance company to verify it and couldn’t get in touch (some after-market insurance). The father of the driver said he’d never let his daughter drive without insurance and the judge said OK and tossed that ticket. The not yielding to a pedestrian? She got a $100 fine and 4 months of supervision. OK, I was angry, but told myself it was an accident, she’s young, she did stop and get of the car and I just need to let it go. I wasn’t really mad at her, I was mad at the situation. So. Turns out she is an excluded driver on the policy. So I have to go through my insurance to file a claim. That made me mad, the lying made me mad. The judge made me mad. But I told myself, it was a genuine accident, she’s 17, things happen and I am going to be OK. It couldn’t been worse. I went to look up my case number on Cook County’s website using the girl’s driver’s license and it turns out she got 3 almost identical tickets the MONTH BEFORE. No insurance, no license and not stopping at a stop sign. The tickets were thrown out, she kept her license (I assume she just didn’t have it on her) and the next month she did it again except that she hit someone – me. Now I feel the accident was less innocent. That this girl is a negligent and reckless driver. Since I know where they live and I’ve seen the family, I am making an assumption that there is no money to be gained from her or her parents. And from the money standpoint, I wasn’t looking to get rich, but some help – for example I have to drive to work now instead of taking the bus and I think asking for to cover parking is reasonable. I’m just frustrated. As far as I know this person is still on the road. My leg is fully scarred in multiple places. I can’t run or jog and I have 2 kids under 4 years old who I struggle to play with physically. My daughter cried when she saw me on crutches. I cried. My fibula is still broken (healing on its own) and I feel pain every day. I’m tired of being angry. I want to know how others have coped with feeling angry. The other day I was driving and slowed down for pedestrians and just had this rage in me where I slowed down for someone and she couldn’t wait for me to cross the street. I started impulsively hitting my steering wheel and just screaming. Then quickly calming down and saying its OK. But that wasn’t – the reaction I had was not OK. It’s not me. My best approach so far is to overcompensate with kindness to others. I’ve always been kind and nice but it’s overkill – I’m saying thank you to anyone who gives me even the slightest nice gesture. I’m complimenting and collaborating with people at work I usually avoid. But it’s not enough. I’ve reached out to my therapist from college and we are going to meet soon. I was the paraplegic triathlon for empathy and to learn from their strengths. I’ve been watching the Redemption project where victims meet with their perpetrator and essentially forgive them. If the father on that show forgave the man who who his daughter, surely I can forgive this whole situation and move on, right? Perhaps because this happened just 7 week ago it’s harder to let go. I just want to stop being angry. I want to feel and think positive. I would love to hear/read how others have dealt with coming to terms that an outside force impacted their lives forever and you just need to accept it. Thank you for taking the time to read this! Sincerely, Vee

Reply: Help dealing with the anger - hit by car
by Ian on Jun 13, 2019, 05:11PM

I sympathize with your frustration and agree there has been no justice in this situation for you. I’m so sorry.

by avelinor on Aug 07, 2019, 10:22PM

The anger you feel at the unfairness of the situation is definitely 100% natural. I was the victim of a careless driver as well and am working through the anger I feel at the loss of a limb. This anger is all part of the grief we feel at the normal life that is behind us. Even if you heal 100% you will have to live with the emotional trauma of this accident forever. Hopefully with time and possibly therapy, this anger will run its course. I have still to work through my grief fully as this accident happened in late May. I have found that concentrating on the positive things in my life help. I wish you the best of fortune in recovering from this accident!

by Karl on Aug 17, 2019, 10:37PM

Hi, your anger and frustration is perfectly reasonable and justifiable. I too am still in my angry bitter and frustrated stage since my accident over 2 and a half years ago in which I was very nearly killed. ( Greedy Employers thread post please read you’ll understand). My employment was terminated because I was involved in an accident they caused. They were fined a pittance £14000 pounds that is how much my life is worth. They carry on without a care my wife and family and myself are sentenced to at least another 3 years of painful recovery with no help monetary wise from anywhere unless we ask for parachute payments to be taken from claim in the end. Anyone interested in the whole story of my horror accident please read GREEDY EMPLOYERS. Hope you have a speedy recovery and one day your justice but for now YOU ARE ENTITLED TO BE WHATEVER YOU FEEL because until it happens to someone else nobody will understand. Regards Karl

by StarGirlVee on Mar 25, 2020, 07:34AM

Hi there. I’m sorry for the late reply! I read your message (and later your story!) and I immediately started to think of going to small claims court and actually doing something about this. You encouraged me to do that! Today is the 1 year of my accident and is the last day I file a petition to summon. However, I was going through tons of links and forms and how-tos… I realized I can’t even summon the girl who hit me since she’s a minor. I think I may have her dad’s info, but I was told it’s hard to prove negligence from parents – however you made a good point on her getting stopped before. I think I’ve decided that I am going to submit a complaint against the judge who allowed her to simply say her insurance was valid when it wasn’t and just slapped her with a $100 fine. I talked to the ADA in the courts about this and he off-hand mentioned this judge has history of leniency and only citizens who submit a complaint can do something about it. I feel like that’s more of a macro level solution. It doesn’t correct her actions and it doesn’t teach her to drive without insurance (on her parents). I still feel the pain in my leg but i will say i am OK at the end of it all. I feel your anger. My therapist suggested I write the girl a letter and i have pictures of my injury printed out to send… that gives emotional closure. I know based on your note that you are 100% capable of getting over the feeling of madness and continuing on to live a happy and fulfilling life. I am thinking of you!!

by Courtbrown96 on Apr 04, 2020, 04:59AM

I am sorry about your accident. I understand the anger very well. I was also hit by a car in November 2016, I definitely understand how you feel. The lady that hit me only got charged with improper lane usage. She was reported for reckless driving a good amount of miles before she hit me, she also had medicine in her system but since it was prescribed she only got improper lane usage. I sued the lady that hit me but she was on disability for her heart. I am now on almost 4 years of recovering. I do still have my bad days where I ask myself why did it happen. I had a hard time getting used to the scars from the 10+ surgeries I have had. I am still learning to be proud of my scars and what I went through. But even though I do have bad days I am starting to have more good days as well, I even started school.

by juliduran on Apr 10, 2020, 09:42AM

HI, I too feel the same anger and frustration what you felt when I read this. Its quite natural feeling.

by NaToshaP on Sep 26, 2020, 03:01AM

I saw your post and I had to respond. First let me tell you that I joined this group, not for myself, but for my father. My little brother died on December 13th 2018, my mom passed away a month later-to the day. It gets worse… in the middle of the year anniversary of their deaths, my dads car broke down and he was walking home when he got struck by a van going 60 miles an hour. He almost died. He was on life support. He shattered his knee, had a tracheotomy, spinal surgery (twice) and he suffered a traumatic brain injury. To make things worse, while he was in a coma I tried to contact his mortgage company. They would not speak to me because I was not on the loan. Well my moms dead, and my dads in a coma. I don’t know which one they would have wanted to talk to first. So here I am helpless and alone. My dads house goes into foreclosure. Things got worse before they got better. My dad made a miraculous recovery. He is walking, talking, figuring out to pick up the pieces. He is angry too. He has a “Why me?” attitude and I don’t blame him. I know that I have been through a lot as well, but my dad was hit by the van. I cqn support him all day long, but he needs to talk to people who understand his pain.

by Corolla1997 on Jan 19, 2021, 08:27PM

I no I was hit head on by a self centered idiot’ October 2020 idiot’s doing fine I’m still mest. Pretty bad with my broken bones and other issues and I was very aggravated so I know how you feel this guy didn’t get no ticket to nothing and I am messed up for life good luck it is now 3 years later October 2023 yes I can walk I do have a lot of problems still from the accident not as much as I could have though the worst is my shoulder basically it’s pushed forward and it’s a little shorter than the other one so it’s definitely out of whack it’s not doesn’t look right altered in a way and it constantly hurts me along with my foot and basically the broken hip was a femur was seems to be the worst problems I’m supposed to get a complete for spinal infusion I do want to get it I was going to get a year later but now it’s been 3 years and I still want to get it but I know it’s going to be a long recovery I still do want to get it having to decide on the doctor though still taking morphine and definitely helps but my life has been not good the last 3 years I spent 70% of the day in bed basically

by noork12 on Apr 14, 2021, 09:32AM

Hi. I’m so sorry this happened to you. I was in a similar situation where I was hit by a pick up truck. I more so grieved myself in sorrow and pain. Yes, it’s amazing you’re alive. But you have every right to feel angry especially if she’s a reckless driver. The driver who hit me had his headlights off and I crossed the street at a red light on the crosswalk. Feel your anger. One day you will fully heal. I also had 8 rib fractures, fractured fibula, tore pcl, small puncture in lung, concussion. It’s really tough I know. I felt anger towards my driver too. However, I realized I could not control the situation and I couldn’t change what happened because it already happened to me. What I understood to do most in this situation was to feel my feelings until I healed. I hope therapy helps. It’s a blessing we’re alive.

by noork12 on Apr 14, 2021, 09:34AM

Hi. I’m so sorry this happened to you. I was in a similar situation where I was hit by a pick up truck. I more so grieved myself in sorrow and pain. Yes, it’s amazing you’re alive. But you have every right to feel angry especially if she’s a reckless driver. The driver who hit me had his headlights off and I crossed the street at a red light on the crosswalk. Feel your anger. One day you will fully heal. I also had 8 rib fractures, fractured fibula, tore pcl, small puncture in lung, concussion. It’s really tough I know. I felt anger towards my driver too. However, I realized I could not control the situation and I couldn’t change what happened because it already happened to me. What I understood to do most in this situation was to feel my feelings until I healed. I hope therapy helps. It’s a blessing we’re alive.

by Corolla1997 on Sep 28, 2022, 07:50AM

It’s been pretty much 2 years exactly since that major accident I had September 24th of 20 I cannot think straight I since then Pro gress I’d really hard I can walk but the metal is burning in my leg and my broken foot I think bothers me a lot all the all the injuries seem to be there but I do have other problems it’s been exactly

by Corolla1997 on Sep 28, 2022, 08:35AM

I believe I might have sent it to others or to myself at least three times since the last 2 years probably should have died in this accident in 2020 on September 26th 24th rather haven’t been right since

by Anawilliam850 on Jan 16, 2023, 01:17PM

I sympathize with your frustration and I’m so sorry for what happened to you