Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

14th October; a day that is marked in many ways.

14th October; a day that is marked in many ways.
by Rachymc on Nov 19, 2019, 07:17PM

My name is Rachel, I am 30 years old from Dublin Ireland. 3 years ago, I was on the trip of a lifetime, loving life care free. I spent 4 and a half months travelling South America and then made a big move to Australia with a group of friends. We honestly had the best time, towards the end of my year in Australia, to stay on for a 2nd year and obtain a visa you need to do regional work on the farms for a 3 month period. I was so lucky, I ended up being on a great farm, the farmers where so good to me, I made some amazing friends and believe it or not was really enjoying life on the farm. With about 10 days left of farm work to go, on October 14th everything changed. I was driving an ATV Buggy on the farm grounds, I rounded a corner at a moderate speed, when I hit a patch of unsettled ground which caused me to loose control, I over stirred the Buggy and it flipped, throwing me from it. I landed on the ground arms stretched out and the buggy landed on my left arm, It burst my arm open and toppled over. I was blessed it hit my arm and not my head. I sat in the field of the farm, looking at my bones handing and broken from my arm and half my skin gone from my lower arm. I did not pass out – but my first though was my mam is going to be so worried. My friends on the farm rallied round, as did the farmer to my aid while we waiting on the ambulance, I was conscious the entire time. I remember asking the farmer to “promise me, I was not going to loose my arm” I ended up compound fracture to my arm, and severed my radial nerve. I spent a month in hospital in Australia, where I under went 5 surgeries, 1 blood transfusion, I ended up needing skin graph surgery & was now also somewhat paralyzed in my left hand as a result of severing my radial nerve. Eventually I got to go home to Ireland, where I spent a year recovering and focusing on my arm & my mind. Everything was different now I attended Physio every week to regain the bend in my arm and was awaiting further surgery for my hand. I had a tendon transfer a year later and about 4 months after this my hand recovered more then they ever thought it would. 3 years on, I have adapted to life being somewhat different with my hand and arm function. My scarring is something that troubles me deeply as its something that will never go away. My arm is the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see at night, my biggest regret is ever driving the buggy. I tell myself I am sorry at least once a day. I tell my family how sorry I am too. My care free life is very different now, I spend my normal day filled with anxiety and fear of what might happen. 14th of October is a day that is marked for me, I am now marked physically & mentally from it.

Reply: 14th October; a day that is marked in many ways.
by kirstennussbaum on Nov 22, 2019, 04:31PM

Hi Rachel, thank you for sharing your story. Please know that your scars do not define you. Sounds like you have come a long way and had many successes in just 3 years. That is an amazing tribute to you of which you should be proud! My name is Kirsten. When I was 19 years old I was in a really bad automobile accident and about 75 percent of my left hand was amputated. This coming February 15, 2020 will mark the 30 year anniversary of that accident. Every day I am thankful to have the life that I have and honestly, if I could go back and not have that accident I would not do it because I would not want to risk changing the woman I have become today. Please know that it gets easier. Please know that it is OK to count the years. Give yourself permission to grieve, give yourself permission to be angry and sad. And then give yourself permission to be fabulous, and amazing, and smart, and funny, and most of all, happy.

by aladanh on Nov 25, 2019, 06:45AM

I loved the way you discuss the topic great work thanks for the share. http://gmailloginup.com/

by katherinejoseph on Dec 16, 2019, 05:52PM

Thank you both for sharing your experiences on the TSN community forum. We hope you both continue to connect and find people who will be able to give you some insight into these difficult processes. If I can ever offer any support, please feel free to reach me via email – kjoseph@amtrauma.org. Thinking of you both!

by Amyjobru on Nov 25, 2020, 03:00PM

Thankyou so much for sharing your story……Oct 24 2020 just 4 weeks ago is my day my world changed…We were riding a ATV Razor in the Black Hills of South Dakota with friends for a fun weekend 5 hours from home in Sioux Falls…..It was snowing lightly which made me question riding that day but I didn’t want to be the chicken…we were on a fun trail half way up the hill and the razor fell on my side…I instinctively put my right arm to catch the razor….If I had just tucked and rolled instead….Just like you I held my arm and hand while riding to the cabin and then into a pickup to ride to the hospital….that pain was intense and I told husband the whole time they have to amputate…..I’m right handed and they had to amputate my right arm above the elbow….If I can get rid of the pain from stitches still healing and of course the phantom pain I could deal with it better… I’m 55 years old and have to look at this as a new adventure…my family is helping me for which I’m thankful this Thanksgiving….thanks again and take care…