Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Traumatic Christmas.

Traumatic Christmas.
by Jay254 on Dec 03, 2019, 05:08PM

My name is Jason O’Dell and I am blessed to be able to share here the traumatic incident and how I have survived and gained a whole new outlook on life and why I am still here at all. On December 24th, 2004 while driving my brother John home from a Christmas party which involved alcohol and a little bit of Texas Holdem I accidentally ran off the road and struck a telephone pole/power pole. I struck it so hard it snapped in half and the power lines came down on my truck and caught it on fire. Unfortunately my only brother John was pinned in between the seat and the dashboard. I don’t remember much of the accident but I had to be pulled out from trying to rescue my brother from burning to death or I would not be sharing this information with you. I did suffer 3rd degree burns on my hands and a little bit of my forearms. They were very painful but nothing can compare to mental/emotional pain. John died of smoke inhalation and no longer was a physical part of our family nor this world. I woke up Christmas Day in a mental hospital because I had threghtened suicide and my parents wanted me to be safe.

Reply: Traumatic Christmas.
by katherinejoseph on Dec 16, 2019, 05:50PM

Hi Jason, Thank you so much for sharing you and your brother’s story on the TSN community forum. You are not alone. Many trauma survivors can relate to your experience. I’d be happy to connect you with some other resources or helping you find a local counselor to talk to if you are interested. Feel free to reach me at kjoseph@amtrauma.org.