Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Spinal Cord Injury Newbie to website.

Spinal Cord Injury Newbie to website.
by T5CompleteLiz on Jun 08, 2020, 06:53PM

My names is Elizabeth. I’m 23 an I rarely share my story. I came across this website and decided to see if I can share and be more open. On August 10th, 2018. I was driving home I fell asleep and next woke up with my car flipped. When I woke paramedics were there an all I could say is I can’t feel my legs. I was airlifted to nearby Vanderbilt where I was taken into surgery to repair my back. I remember waking up and the doctor told me I would never walk again. It’s been almost 2 years an it still haunts me. I have no sensation or movement from below my breast down an have not regained any. I stay depressed an hate that I lost my ability to walk. I hope this site can bring me support and new friends.

Reply: Spinal Cord Injury Newbie to website.
by CJW on Jun 17, 2020, 12:14PM

Hi Elizabeth. I just saw your post on the trauma survivors network, which I joined today. I just wanted to say hi and that you are an inspiration and you are really brave for posting. You’re a strong person and you are already helping people by sharing your story. Regards, Christian.

by viperrob on Jun 24, 2020, 06:10PM

Hello Elizabeth, First I want to say, I’m sorry to hear about your accident. I can fully understand what you are going through, waking up just to be told you no longer have the use of your legs. When I was told I just asked myself, why did I even wake up then. It is definitely life changing and at a point in your life you will adjust to your new life. Adjust, not accept. It’s hard to accept what happened. 27 years later, even though I regained the use of my legs, I still have issues physically and mentally. Sometimes I still have nightmares of the accident. My faith in God even diminished for a while. Now, I give it to Him every day because he still has a purpose for me. He has a purpose for you as well. I know you might not think that right now, but He does. You did the right thing and joined this site. We need all of the support we can get. If you like to stay in contact, send me a private message. Remember this – you are going through a range of emotions right now. Just take it one day at a time.

by katherinejoseph on Jul 14, 2020, 04:34PM

Hi Elizabeth, Than you so much for sharing your story on the TSN community forum. You are absolutely not alone in this journey. We are a network of trauma centers and survivors where you have the ability to connect with other trauma survivors, just like you. I also want to direct you to Vanderbilt’s TSN program as they do have a TSN program there. https://www.traumasurvivorsnetwork.org/trauma_c… Additionally, if you were ever interested in speaking with someone with similar injuries one on one, I would be happy to arrange that. Wishing you healing and happiness! Feel free to reach me at kjoseph@amtrauma.org. Thank you so much Christian and Viperrob for reaching out to Elizabeth, this is truly what the TSN is about. Surviving, Connecting and Rebuilding.