Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Carbon Monoxide

According to Safe USA, every year more than 200 Americans die from carbon monoxide (CO) produced by fuel-burning appliances, and several thousand more go to an emergency room for treatment. It is an invisible, odorless, poisonous gas that can cause illness and death. The burning of certain fuels such as natural gas, oil, kerosene, coal, and wood produces carbon monoxide. In excess amounts, CO can cause severe illness or death. Home appliances should be regularly maintained to reduce CO leaks due to improper installation and operating. Symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the common flu (this includes headache, dizziness, aches and pains, shortness of breath). If you are feeling a sudden onset of these symptoms, get fresh air immediately, turn off any CO appliances and call emergency services.