Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

A different life

A different life
by Jimi on Jan 28, 2021, 08:01PM

It has been 11 years since I received the call that my wife and soulmate of the last 27 years was run over while riding her bike on a barely traveled country road. Only two weeks before we had taken part in RAAM (Ride across America) without so much as a flat tire. I remember getting the call from the trauma center. I don’t remember how I drove there. The next few hours watching her her die in ICU was impossible to forget. Making the decision to unplug the machine keeping her alive still haunts me sometimes. It was a hit and run and fortunately the person turned themselves in. A two year trial that followed seemed to make the events of that day drag on forever. I was pretty much shut down for about 8 years. People asked if I was ok and I said “I’m ok”. I was never ok. Until a 18 month drug relapse after being clean half of my life landed me in am AODA program that led to a PTSD program. It literally changed my life. It will never be like it was but it a different life. A life I can live. I can enjoy most days and am back to doing many of things I used to do. When I look at pictures of my former soulmate I just smile now and think how lucky I was for 27 years. So if you are still stuck or lost reach out and maybe you can find the peace I have found.

Reply: A different life
by ChrisW on Feb 12, 2021, 04:21PM

I’m sorry for your loss.

by katherinejoseph on Mar 10, 2021, 07:24PM

Jimi, wow. Thank you so much for sharing your story and offering support to others who may have experienced similar loss. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I do hope you continue to heal along the grieving process and continue to find the positive support you need. We’re rooting for you!

by Jimi on Aug 20, 2022, 04:26AM

Thanks so much