Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Life changing accident

Life changing accident
by tiggy857 on Dec 19, 2022, 06:15PM

On August 19 2022 I was coming back home from a Tai Chi class. Something that I thought would be beneficial for me since I just sold my business in February and was trying to do things that I always seemed to put off. Was driving my little Mazda Miata that I only used in the summer when it was nice out. Top down and heading home. Five minutes from the house when I was broadsided by an SUV. I remember seeing the vehicle coming towards me. I remember a man standing over me and calming me. He was a doctor. I remember bits and pieces. I was hit so hard that my car flew across the way into a gas station. Rushed to the hospital with a torn spleen, fractured ribs, fractured shoulder, glass in my shoulder. I spent four days in the hospital and was sent home only to return the following week by ambulance again to have my spleen removed. Apparently the spleen was not healing itself and leaked the whole time I was home. Six more days in hospital. I went home and two days later had to put my 16 year old dog down. A month before I lost one of my other dogs. A 15 year old pug. I am blessed to have friends and family who were around to help my physical healing. I am still healing emotionally. Driving is tricky for me. I finally started to drive 10 days ago to take my last dog to the vet. She is in kidney failure. I actually look at everything that has happened to me as a blessing. I survived a horrible accident twice. I am still here to tell my story. I have peace inside. I know that this could have been far worse but I feel that God has kept me here for a reason. I know that God has much bigger plans for me than I could ever imagine. Thanks for reading this and thank you all for sharing your stories. This is exactly where I am supposed to be.

Reply: Life changing accident
by kjanse on Feb 06, 2023, 03:23AM

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I know my dogs mean the world to me. I commend you in your positivity. I know I am not there yet but hopefully soon.

by kjanse on Feb 06, 2023, 03:25AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I know my dogs mean the world to me. I commend your positivity. I’m not there yet but I hope to be in that frame of mind soon.

by tiggy857 on Mar 24, 2023, 12:05AM

thanks Kjanse… I am now down to no dogs. In the last year and a half I lost all four of my pups. For the first time ever I have no dogs of my own. I still watch dogs and eventually will adopt another. Just trying to figure it out now. PTSD still a problem. Have you joined in with the next session? I remember you in our last group. I am so sorry about what happened to you and pray for healing…