Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Surfing Accident and Plating of Rib Fractures

Surfing Accident and Plating of Rib Fractures
by rosswnelson on Mar 23, 2023, 08:12PM

Hi all, just telling my story. Went body surfing (thats where you dont use a board, its just you and swimming down the front of the wave) and wound up being dumped in very shallow water (ive only been doing this for 45 years!). Could barely breathe with stabbing pain through shoulder and chest. Someone helped me to beach and they to lifesaving tower. After catching my breath managed to walk 3 blocks home. Worried that shoulder was dislocated, went to hospital. ER found out I had 10 fractured ribs in 13 places all on one side, deflated lung and probable dislocated shoulder as well. Lung was re-inflated and after about 10 days had metal plating done to ribs that were multi fractured and a mangled. One was the rib under the shoulder blade. It’s three weeks out from operation and at home now for last 2.5 weeks. Im down to an opioid 3 times a day to get through pain. Wonder if anyone else has had rib plating and what to expect in terms of pain and time. Some days it’s not so bad. Some days it’s like a throbbing giant metal claw on my chest, probably because it’s actually a giant meta claw on my chest! Also as they killed nerves with cryo as part of operation, theres weird numb sensations and pain comes from below rib cage sometimes (dont know if just referred pain). If anyone has had a vaguely similar experience and recovery, would love to hear from you. Reading what some people have gone through on here actually made me realise how lucky I am. In reality if I had come down on my head rather than right shoulder, I probably would not be typing this. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to all.

Reply: Surfing Accident and Plating of Rib Fractures
by tiggy857 on Mar 24, 2023, 12:20AM

was in a bad car wreck and fractured ribs was a small part of my “damage”… That was in August of 22. I now have a weird sensation around my rib area. Am told by naturopath and physical therapist that it is the intercostal muscles. It is uncomfortable and very annoying. A bit of pain but not too much. Also wondering if this will ever heal. I am sorry for what you have been through. Prayers for quick healing…

by vlogan on May 21, 2023, 03:46AM

Hey! I broke most of my ribs and had a bunch of plates put in on the left side about 3 months ago – HANG IN THERE!!! My experience is that it gets better. At first I just felt like my ribcage was frozen with no movement and I had to breathe really shallowly all the time. My rib mobility is back and things are loosening up. It’s definitely still a process every day, but at this point most of the time I’m dealing with stiffness and achy-ness, not necessarily pain. Hope that helps and best of luck on your recovery!

by Egill Helgason on Oct 06, 2023, 11:38AM

Hi Sorry to see about your accidents. But am greatfull to find this thread, since I am kind of in loose air in regards to information about rib plating as a treatment option for rib nonunion. I had a traumatic accident falling of a bicycle at the end of May this year. Part of my injuries were multiple breaks in ribs. I have healed in all respects except for two ribs have not healed, so as I understand are so called nonunions. I do not have sharp pains but rather great numb- and stiffness on my left side, that is affecting very much work and activities. I can see you have had your ribs plated and it has been giving you pain and feeling like ,,iron claws“. How is your situation today? Have you improved from these ,,iron claws“? How is pain and how are your activities now as compared to before your accidents ?

by Benski on Apr 03, 2024, 12:04PM

Hello, I fell in my home. Nearly 6 weeks ago had replating on five ribs five weeks ago. I’m curious how you’re doing today? I’m looking for help knowing when I will feel more completely recovered. Everything I read, says ribs heal and 4 to 6 weeks. I’m at the six week mark and I don’t feel even close to recovered. Intellectually I know that’s completely reasonable. But I can’t find much information online. Can you help me with your experience?