Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Run over by an SUV

Run over by an SUV
by vlogan on Jul 10, 2023, 03:54PM

Hi everyone! My name is Virginia and I got run over by an SUV in February. I was walking to my boyfriend’s house and was in the crosswalk, and this guy was turning right and just didn’t stop. I don’t remember much detail about the accident – but I remember the fear when I realized he wasn’t going to stop, I remember going under the wheels, and I remember lying on the ground afterwards struggling to breathe. Apparently the man got out of his car, looked at me, then got back in the car and drove off. According to witnesses, I just kept repeating “Don’t let me die, my boyfriend’s name is Michael and his phone number is…” and then telling them his phone number. LOL my brain did a great job choosing the important relevant info to share with everyone. I feel really grateful and really terrible about it – one of the witnesses called Michael immediately so he was there before the ambulance took me away. I didn’t have to spend a moment in the hospital alone or anonymous, but I can’t imagine how tough that was on him. I broke my pelvis in 2 places, broke most of my ribs, had a collapsed lung, broke my left clavicle, and had to have my spleen removed, along with a bunch of bumps, bruises, and road rash. I was in an induced coma for a week, and then had ICU delirium for another 5 days or so. I had horrible nightmares during the coma and when I came out I was hallucinating horribly and not sleeping – I was certain that someone was blackmailing me and was going to kill everyone I knew. It was awful. Thankfully that passed relatively quickly & then I got to head home after 6 weeks in the hospital and rehab facility. It’s been a slow physical recovery but theoretically I’ll be able to get back to normal (more or less) when it’s all said and done. I just got to start walking again about a week ago. My whole body is stiff and achy a lot – and I feel so exhausted all the time. And I’m dealing with PTSD – I can’t walk across streets by myself and I have fairly intense flashbacks still. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to drive again, I’m just so scared around cars. I’m super grateful to be alive, and it’s been really hard recovering.

Reply: Run over by an SUV
by KatyHollis on Jul 10, 2023, 04:36PM

Thank you for sharing your story. I can relate to your story and the feeling that your are grateful to be alive but also wondering if things will get better and easier. They will. Be patient with your recovery — especially your emotional recovery. If you aren’t getting support for PTSD please do. My kids and I were both injured seriously in an accident. We all received intense trauma therapy. It was vital to our recovery.