Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

ATV accident made this nurse a patient

ATV accident made this nurse a patient
by Guinnessmum on Dec 04, 2023, 03:30PM

On a relaxing weekend getaway with my best friend at her parents luxury cottage, I suffered a tragic ATV accident that forever changed my life. I went from peacefully kayaking to waiting patiently in the bushes for an ambulance helicopter to come same me. July 22nd, 2023 was one of the best days of my life. My best friend and I enjoyed paddle boarding and kayaking on the lake, riding atvs and enjoying the very much needed downtime, spending time in nature. I work as a nurse in one of the worst jails in detroit so i figured I could handle anything. Turns out I was wrong. On July 23rd,2023 we get on the ATVs to put gas in them for her parents as we were to leave the following day. This was my second day riding one only this time it was wet. I made a last minute to change my shoes from flip flops to runners. I also had on my fave frand bend hoodie and jaanu scrub pants along with my Masego concert tshirt- all clothing with fond memories… As we were driving I was enjoying nature, I was so thankful to experience this trip. A trip my best friend and I talked about doing for 4 years before it came to fruition. All of a sudden my bike started to slip and I couldn’t recall which side to lean to or what was the clutch or brake. The next thing I know my bike is about to hit a tree and if I don’t jump I’m done. So i jumped off a split second before I hit the tree. The atv landed on my right leg. My left arm bone was out by 6cm, my friend thought it was a branch as I was in the bushes. I broke my right leg amd left arm. As i was waiting to be airlifted I was told the wait was too long and I would need a 2 hr ambulance ride with my bone out exposed. I am still healing, about to endure a fifth surgery since my original accident. I wouldn’t wish this pain upon snyone

Reply: ATV accident made this nurse a patient
by Litjockey2023 on Dec 22, 2023, 10:01PM

Sounds like you’re in for a long road hang in there there’s light at the end of the tunnel it feels like we’re broke into pieces but we will recover our bodies are miraculous machines as are our minds they are the dangerous part one we’re in situations like this