Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Trying to move on....

Trying to move on....
by Michele-Ann on Aug 03, 2013, 12:44PM

On February 11th,I was on my way to work. And as I crossed the street, I was struck down by a car. I ended up with neck and back pain, tendinitis in both arms, a partial tear in my right arm, a herniated disc in my lower back, and a fracture to my left pelvic bone. I undergo physical therapy 4x a week, and have been making progress. But what is the most frustrating is that everyone just wants me to be the same. I feel so alone. I have been seeing a psychologist and have been diagnosed with PTSD. I am trying my best to heal and move forward but I feel like no one understands. Many of my friends have gotten tired of me and my slow progress and have moved on… I did have a victory yesterday… I was able to go back and cross the street where I was hit. It has been my fear since the accident happened. And through the tears and the shakes I was able to cross and stand in the area where everything happened that morning….

Reply: Trying to move on....
by KatyHollis on Aug 03, 2013, 03:04PM

Michele-Ann,

Thanks for posting your story. And congratulations on your victory yesterday! Every day you should be proud of the hard work that you are doing. My family was involved in our fireworks accident six years ago (July 4, 2007). It is hard for family and friends to understand that recovering from a traumatic accident is a long, slow process. If you feel like you need additional support, look to see if there is a support group in near you. The first time I sat with other survivors in a support group I finally felt like I wasn’t alone in my struggles with PTSD, depression, and physical pain.

Keep up the hard work!
Katy

Reply: Trying to move on....
by Heath on Aug 18, 2013, 01:27AM

Thanks for sharing!!!! KatyHollis said it all! The process isn’t going to be fun and you might lose or not be as close to some people. People that hasn’t happen to them struggle and often don’t understand. So do what makes you happy even if you have to do it by yourself. CONGRATS with your victory keep up the good work.