Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

What You Don't Know-Prelude To The Helicopter Ride aka Part II

What You Don't Know-Prelude To The Helicopter Ride aka Part II
by skyepartridge on Sep 19, 2013, 03:30PM

What you don’t know is that the man who shot me was someone I called my brother. I’ve known him for 8 years. He spent days by the pool with me and my family. We were neighbors, best friends, and sometimes each others confidants. He was silly, funny, and sometimes stupid. Particularly stupid on the day he shot me. Before the trigger was pulled, we were horsing around with each other like we always do. Clowning and joking around just like a brother and sister would do. Making jokes about each other, but it was all done with smiles on our faces. Like always. He gave me a little shove and said something I can’t recall and I picked up a foam piece and was acting like I was going to hit him with it for shoving me. Still all smiles. He said “Oh yeah? I got something for that” and that’s when he became the stupidest person I have ever met in my entire life. He reached in this cabinet like thing where the switch board is and pulled out a gun. He was waving it around saying things like “Yeah what you gonna do now?” I looked at him and said “Whatever, I’m leaving, you’ve taken it to far.” I felt uneasy about him pulling out a gun. Guns are not toys. I walked to the couch to grab my wallet and as I reached down I heard him say “You aint going nowhere.” That’s when I heard him cock the gun. As I’m turning I see he has the gun pointed six inches, if that, at my chest. The next thing I know I hear a loud pop and smoke rising. Now, they say he wasn’t aware that there was a bullet in the gun. He said it was an accident. On one hand I would’ve believed him. He’s like my brother, he knows my family. We’ve known each other for so long. But then on the other hand, if it was an accident, why would he leave me to die, why would he run home and change his clothes, why would he walk up to the crime scene he made and have the audacity to ask one of the officers what happened? So when the blonde haired lady police officer asked me was it an accident, I just shook my head yes because at the moment, I really didn’t know. Sometimes I kick myself for that and sometimes I try to accept it. Its still a constant struggle I deal with. Did he or didn’t he mean to shoot me and change my life forever.

Reply: What You Don't Know-Prelude To The Helicopter Ride aka Part II
by ewysocki on Nov 10, 2013, 08:20PM

Skyepartridge-

Thank you for sharing your story. You have been through so much. Please keep us updated on your recovery and if you need to be put in touch with some resources that can help you, let me know.

My best,
Liz Wysocki
Ewysocki@jhsph.edu
410-955-0396

Reply: What You Don't Know-Prelude To The Helicopter Ride aka Part II
by horseychick on Nov 25, 2013, 09:54PM

what a sad story, thank you for sharing it.

how are you doing?