Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Beat the odds and survived the crash, the impared driver died.

Beat the odds and survived the crash, the impared driver died.
by Deleted User on Dec 09, 2013, 07:15PM

My name is Patty and on May 9, 2011 while driving for my job an impared driver crossed the double yellow line in a 55mph zone and hit my car head on. He died on impact and I managed to survive and was transported to the University of Virginia Medical Centers Level 1 Shock Trauma Unit where they saved my life and the journey to rebuilt my crushed legs begin. After over 8+ surgeries, 200+ visits to physical therapy and 2.5 years I am able to walk unassisted. I remember everything before, during and after the crash an am currently in therapy for PTSD. I did not sustain a brain injury but having hearing problems and BPPV. I thank god everyday that I’m alive, can walk and do not have a TBI despite knowing that I will never be physically or mentally the same. My workman’s compensation company has been very good to me. However, I’ve reached MMI and am going to have to take a FCE (functional capacity evaluation) this month. Has anyone out there ever had to deal with WC and what should I expect? Do they really think I can return to my job as a medical sales representative or to any job?

Reply: Beat the odds and survived the crash, the impared driver died.
by rapvan on Dec 10, 2013, 07:35PM

Try and get your ssi its not much but, you are disabiled now whether you feel that way or not…
I know how harsh that sounds and i never wanted to hear it or believe it. Sorry, Patty that you had this accident and i know you will never be the same thank God you can walk and maybe someday you will go back to work full time rite now get your Soc Sec and try to heal… People will push you but,there not hurt and know one knows your pain.So, what if you go back to work and cant cut it and get fired where will you be then. I know i have been down your road File for your Soc Sec insurance start the process get your Money you paid it in and that is what it is there for ! The sooner you file for Disability the sooner you will get it even if you have to file twice.I sustained a tbi in my crash along with alot of other things a life altering event just like yours slow down take your time and Heal get your ssi and start a new life i remember almost every second of my wreck i wanted to at first now i cant forget! Your PTSD is a disability in itself and its real Good Luck and May God Bless you.

Reply: Beat the odds and survived the crash, the impared driver died.
by Deleted User on Dec 10, 2013, 11:04PM

Rapvan thank you for your kind words and support. Relief to no I’m not alone.