Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Gone too soon

Gone too soon
by LostSoul34 on Jan 06, 2014, 03:48AM

Hello i am new here, i actually found this site on accident and have been reading everyones stories and want to share mine. On Dec 29, 2002. Me and my partner were just recovering from having the flu and i decided i would go and get us something to eat since we had not had real food in a week. My partners 2 daughters kayla 10yrs old and danielle 12, wanted to go with me so i told them ask your mother first. She said it was ok so we all got in the van and drove about 3 miles to the chinese restaurant and saw it was closed so i drove back to the house to see what else my partner wanted and we all decided on going to the store. So kayla, danielle, and me all got back into the van and headed to the store. We had the radio up we were all singing and as i was making a left turn at the stoplight just out pf the corner of my eye a car came out of nowhere, kayla screamed my name and the car slammed into the side of our car, it was all so fast, i remember the van was tipping becaise we had slammed into the lightpole, we then landed on our side. I looked around the insode of the car and kept saying we will be ok, the windows were all shattered, as i crawled out of the van i helped danielle out as well and realized kayla was nowhere, i panicked when i looked down and saw her littlw feet sticking out from under the van. She was trapped under the van, she had been ejected during the impact and the van landed on top of her. There were already a few people on the scene and they lifted the van off of her, i was trying to keep her sister calm as the paramedics worked on kayla. Kayla died the next day on dec 30, 2002. It has been over 10 yrs since the accidenr and it feels like yesterday, not a day goes by that i dont think about kayla and would have given my life to save hers. People tell me i should be over it by now but they dont know what its like, the guilt i carry, and the pain is life long. I dont talk to many people because the few i have told just dont understand. To whoever is reading, thank you for listening.

Reply: Gone too soon
by ewysocki on Jan 06, 2014, 04:57PM

LostSoul43- Trauma is a life-long journey. You have been through so much There are lots of amazing survivors on this site, and I know they are here for you. Thank you for sharing your story.

Liz Wysocki- National TSN Coord.
410-955-0396
ewysocki@jhsph.edu

Reply: Gone too soon
by Picasso05 on Jan 09, 2014, 02:06AM

Thank you for sharing your story.

I can’t imagine your pain and “getting over it” is a coping term that people who are not in your circumstances use to try to force you to ignore the pain. First and foremost, you are not to blame and it was not your fault. That ache will never go away but one day you will be able to smile a little longer when you think of her. I hope you find the support that is necessary for all humans to continue day to day.