Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

How much is too much?

How much is too much?
by Picasso05 on Jan 09, 2014, 02:29AM

For anyone who reads this. Thank you for taking the time.

I’m a type A personality; someone who always has to do things right and perfectly. I have a Master’s degree in Epidemiology and Biostatistics and was in my second year of medical school when fate struck me down for a second time. It pains me to think that my resume means nothing now; it matters not that I have worked in public health in Florida or with the CDC. The only thing that matters is that I am human. In 2011, I had a rollover accident, driving 60 mph on the highway and thought I was dead. I survived that and have come a long way since then. I still have long-term pain but I manage the symptoms with physical therapy on my own and yoga, among other things. In August of 2013, I had a positive PPD, a test that determines tuberculosis exposure, although my chest x-ray was clear I had to take medication because there were a lot of risks to myself and patients. I took the medication and began to feel symptoms characteristic of adverse effects to the medication. The doctors sent me home when I told them I thought I was having a reaction. They never checked my liver, even though liver damage is a known cause of the medication, a few weeks after that I went to the ER twice and was told by the most arrogant doctor that I did have a very toxic reaction to the medication but my liver would regenerate because that’s what it does. Two days later I was in the isolation ward of the ICU clinging to my life and I had to call my parents who live in Miami to let them know that I was about to die and that they had to fly to D.C. I was in liver failure and by many miracles have made it a long way since that day in September. I have a lot of feelings, anger at the doctors, resentment because I don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs so why was this happening to me? I also feel happy to be alive. I’m exhausted from the whirlwind that has become my life. Being on medical leave means I must rejoin the new class in August and start over, I have no money, many medical bills, I can’t get financial aid because I’m not registered, I can’t declare bankruptcy because then I will not be eligible for loans in August, I’m probably about to get kicked off my insurance plan because it was through the school, and yes I know these are all mundane complaints compared with health scares but they are the current realities that make this time so much harder. Sometimes I hate that I know so much about my state of health because it makes me paranoid but I also value the knowledge I have because otherwise I wouldn’t be writing this right now. I think in percentages and given that I had less than a 1% chance of getting sick and a 50:50 chance of survival I have had many conflicting emotions.

Reply: How much is too much?
by ginak94 on Feb 14, 2014, 03:39AM

Hi,
My name is Gina, and I want to start off by saying nothing you said in the above post is by any means a mundane complaint. From what you posted above, it sounds like you are a super motivated person who has been through a significant amount of not only trauma, but also many hardships. You sound like you are a very strong person just from everything you have already been through.

I understand why you would be so frustrated, annoyed, and fed up with the doctors who missed the liver failure, but I am glad to hear that you do see the gratitude of being alive and doing better. Those hardships that you discussed: your insurance, medical bills, and school bills are all things that can easily put somebody down. I just want you to know that with so many bad things, many even greater things follow very close behind. You seem so motivated and strong-willed, and be so grateful you have those characteristics (type A personality!), because that will help you fight through these hard situations, therefore you can get the greater ones to follow. :)

I really hope this forum can help you in some way like it has for me. It is not only nice reading other posts, it is great responding, because the truth is that we all have things in common and we can relate to one another like no others can. If you ever are feeling down, stressed, overwhelmed, just come on the forum. You will see very quickly just how far you have come and how amazing all of us are. Things like this suck so so bad, and I know you asked the question, “Why did this happen to me,” and I have asked myself that question SO many times. Now, I am thankful everyday that I got into the car accident that I got into, because it changed me in so many good ways, made me such a stronger person, and gave me so many goals to stride towards achieving.

Hope the forum helps you :) Email me or let me know if you ever want to talk.
Take care, and stay strong!

Gina Kihnley