Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

My Motorcycle vs. Car accident

My Motorcycle vs. Car accident
by Michael.A.Richmond on Jan 30, 2014, 03:07PM

Hello, I’m Michael and I am 8 years from my Date of Loss. Although it has been some time, I’m reading stories and responses and for the FIRST TIME believe that there is understanding of what I have and am going through – still. I am humbled by the stories and for all of the survivors I would say – you are all much stronger than you know.
My story…
Is a little complicated and so lucky that things happen that shouldn’t have. I guess I should start with prior to? I had a rehab counselor who would tell me that I operated at such a high level that even if I made a full recovery I would only be 80% and most people wouldn’t understand because even at 80% it will still be more than some. I didn’t understand at the time but do so clearly now. Not to toot horns but my reality was – I lived in Las Vegas and worked at UNLV (as my career). I was the West Coast Region expert in my field. I was a marathon runner and a conditioning coach for a D1 football team. I played in and coached 4 softball teams and now it still hurts to walk up stairs. I was a touring headline DJ and had worked in 3 countries and 8 states. All of course changed Saturday August 20, 2005. I am not still angry but sometimes still very sad.
I was going straight through an intersection at 55 mph. You know the signs that say “Left Turn Yield on Green”? She didn’t yield and made a left right in front of me and I hit her so fast full speed there was no time to brake – no skid marks. I was on a sport bike. The impact shattered my motorcycle helmet and threw me about 100 feet through the air. My Dr. said I was fortunate I “ragged dolled” because when i went over the handle bars I hit the car and it knocked me out which prevented more serious physical injuries. I was out for about a week and this is where my story gets so lucky…. The accident happened about a half mile from the fire station and paramedic (who was covering for someone else) happened to be dating a nurse at an area hospital. The Paramedic elected to take me to the hospital his girlfriend worked at because he was aware they had a neurologist on site and not on call. One of many subtleties that saved my life. I was dead on the scene and revived in route but in a coma for 5 days. My most severe injury was a Traumatic Brain Injury. Even after I woke from the Coma I didn’t know who or where I was for months after. To complicate things my personal effects didn’t make it to the hospital and I was John Doe. My Friends, family work just knew I took my bike out and never came back. They launched a city wide search believing that I was dead. A friend who is a Las Vegas Metro Officer had the police helicopter circling the desert looking for a body. I was sleeping. I did have some additional minor extremity damage – a broken shoulder broken hip break, severe nerve damage, broken wrist, road rash, and my body also has trouble regulating automatic functions (like temperature). My TBI caused memory issues as if someone just erased pieces of my life.
I would say the most difficult are the mental emotional aspects and the struggles within. I don’t mean to ramble and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to say. I think I could help. I want to. I went through Kubler-Ross’s stages of death and dying to the extreme. First I thought it wasn’t real and it would eventually get back to how it was. For years after I was Angry. So angry at the world. At what I was going through and no one understood. At why me and my friends and family were so patient and understanding but not everyone was. I would get emotional and just cry at random things from not being able to remember people’s names to not having chocolate milk. People would tell me I got second chance and that was so difficult to cope with the pressure of having a second chance when I couldn’t always dress myself… I could fill pages of all the little things during and after. I was Trauma ICU for 2 weeks. My sister-in-law’s friend from college was an FBI agent in Las Vegas. He found me after 7 days. I was in the hospital for a few months and then a Rehab facility for a few more before being released to my fathers custody and an outpatient rehabilitation program for TBI. All love to the Nevada Community Enrichment Program (my best friends good friends dad was the head physician -how I found the program). Then just let go to deal and figure it out. I’m so happy This is here.
80%
Eventually, I went back to work. I relocated to the DC area when I could to be closer to family. I still feel the pain and still have challenges. I’m ok with that. Last year was the first time since 2005 that I didn’t take a sick day and stay home, shut myself in and not talk to anyone on August 20… Still a process.

Reply: My Motorcycle vs. Car accident
by Clay on Feb 05, 2014, 07:54PM

Hi Michael. I am Clay. I fell 28 feet from a roof and landed on my back. I broke my spine in lower back, upper back and neck. Had a concussion. Like you-other injuries as well. I read your post and wanted to reply…

I think that you have found a place in the Trauma Survivor’s Network where there are people who truly GET what you have gone through, and are going through. You are right..survival means that we are placed into some crazy, scary, confusing, and ever changing places that are not understood by us. There are no directions. There was no help for me…until TSN.

I do not know what I would have done or where I would be without the TSN. I found TSN at INOVA Fairfax Hospital-and it changed me forever. You are in the right place, I think. I cannot speak for you, but for me-wow-TSN really helped me out and keeps helping me out. The people in TSN truly understand the pain-both physical and mental, the confusion, the frustration, the ups and downs…that survivors like you and I go through-because they have gone through them ourselves.

I am not really a touchy feely hold hands and sing round the campfire kinda guy…I was not big into “groups” and stuff like that…so I kinda hesitated to get involved in a “group”… but I can tell ya that TSN really is amazing. The people at TSN taught me that I, as a survivor, will never be able to get back what I had-but…that is ok. I am now in this thing called a “new normal”. My “old normal” will never be…ever again. Woah. Before TSN and after my fall: I was STUCK-I knew I was not my old self…but I had no directions, no tools, no support…to move on the my “new normal”. Actually-I did not even know there was a “new normal”. I just knew that I was trapped in this place that I hated, had no way of getting out, did not understand how I got there, and had no clue as to where I was…but worst: could not move forward, but could not go back either!

You are a survivor. That means so many different things. It can be overwhelming actually. TSN also helped ot to sort out all those different thing and to take them one at a time. Once I learned that I would be able to move on…and even thrive in that new place…it took a HUGE burden off of me. Each new day brought new excitement once I learned that I had help, had support, and was around folks who GOT it….TSN taught me that and continues to help me rebuild. We are each REBUILDING ourselves, one day at a time. Michael: EACH day…try and get a little better. You have people in TSN who get it and are here for you. Each day…a little better. No miracles here….but each day one at a time. That is my story…hope it helps. If you would like to chat more-send me a message…

by ewysocki on Feb 06, 2014, 01:37AM

Michael- It sounds like you have come along way. I know that the journey is not over, but you have come so far and overcome so much. I am glad you found this site.

My best,
Liz Wysocki, National TSN Coord.

by Michael.A.Richmond on Feb 06, 2014, 12:58PM

Thank you!

by Anny Barlow on Feb 19, 2014, 05:16AM

Dear Michael and Clay,

Thank you for sharing your stories. My accident was not nearly as traumatic it would seem, however it has changed my mental state, effectively changing what my livelihood must now be.

Reading what you have been through and how you are overcoming it gives me strength to ‘man-up’ (even though I am a woman), and keep doing the same.

Thank you!

by Clay on Mar 03, 2014, 02:18PM

Hi Anny: I do not know what type of accident you were in, what your injuries were, how it is all impacting you, your family, friends and others around you…. but EVERY trauma-regardless of the perceived scale or severity, is trauma to the person it happens to and the people around them. If you are on this web site, something must have occurred in your life that caused you to be seek TSN. In the TSN groups I have been in, and with the TSN friends I have made, no one of us has ever compared the severity of our injuries or events that occurred to the other…we all are just here…in need of coping skills, friendship, support, and knowledge..and we all just do our best to support each other…it does not make any difference how your trauma compares to others…it makes a difference that you felt the need to reach out, and that you are on this site…and that people here can help you… whatever happened to you was traumatic to you and affects you. No one in TSN will minimize that….TSN is interesting that way…all of our traumas and situations are so different…yet we are all the same in so many ways…

“A little better each day…”

Clay