Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

The Scar I See Everyday

The Scar I See Everyday
by Nora.Sugar on Sep 07, 2014, 04:11AM

Hi my name is Nora Sugar I am 21 years old. The car accident I was in happened early in the morning on March 18th 2011. It is hard to imagine that it already has been three years. It was the night of St. Patrick’s day. I was a senior in high school. I had just gotten a new job and this was my first night that I got out fairly late around 9:45pm. I went to my friend’s house where some of my other friends were. We did not really have any plans for the night but once one of my friends heard about a party going on they were trying to convince me to go. I had school and work the next day so I was not too sure about the idea. I wish I had listened to my gut instinct.

We took my friend’s mom’s car, a two door Nissan Altima and picked up another one of our guy friends who was over 21 to buy us some four lokos. We dropped him back off and proceeded to the party. At the party I drank a good amount but that was it. My friend who had her mom’s car and was the one who drove was drinking heavily and snorting some drug in the bathroom. She was blacked out and could barley walk. We stayed at the party for a very long time. Once it reached around 4:30 in the morning. My friend (not the blacked out one) suggested we go back. Ironically, the same guy who bought us the alcohol, Taylor, showed up at this party and he suggested that we go back to his place. We all agreed. There was another guy with us at this point too. His name was Omar. I had not been around him throughout the whole party until this point in time. My friend who drove was in no state to drive. Either was I or my other friend. Omar took the keys refusing the notion of anyone else driving and said “I’m sober.” We thought nothing of it and waled out to the car and this is the last thing I remember.

Omar was speeding 75 mph down a 35mph street, went around a curve, lost control of the car, it flipped several times. Taylor, my friend Emma, and myself all were ejected from the small back window of this car. Omar and my friend who drove originally were left inside. Both of them were unharmed and able to get out of the car. Omar walked home. The friend walked the streets “looking for help.” Taylor was dead on impact after hitting the fence of a cemetery that the car crashed in to. My other friend and I lay unconscious. Luckily, a bus of elementary school students were heading out for a field trip and came across the scene and got us help.

I was rushed to emergency surgery. All of the skin from my right thigh had been displaced and surgeons were unable to reattach it. Luckily I did not loose my leg and my muscle and bone were not effected. I did loose some of the fascia off the top of my muscle.My stay in the hospital lasted two-weeks and was a wave of emotions. Emotions ranging from extreme shock, sadness, gratefulness, overwhelming warmth from those around me, denial, and the list goes on. Along with my leg injury I fractured the C2 in my spine and had a minimal crack in my pelvis. For my C2 I only had to wear a neckbrace for three months and for my leg I had four surgeries including a skin graft. My friend who was also injured in the accident had some broken bones but she was recovered and is doing okay. Unfortunately, Taylor is no longer with us.

I was left with an indented, red and bumpy scar the size of almost my entire thigh. It has been hard. It is hard seeing it everyday and being reminded of this tragic event and all the anger and resentment, in my mind, it represents. I know that it also represents strength and resilience but to this day it is so hard to see that when there are so many other negative emotions attached to it including low self-esteem that was already there to begin with. I hope that one day I will be able to wear shorts again but I do not see that in the near future.

When I said resentment I am talking about Omar. Omar was drunk and on drugs when he was driving. I found out later on after everything that he was snorting drugs in the same room as my other friend was. There was also a number of ectasy pills found in the car belonging to Omar. Omar walked home. I would of bled to death if no one had found us. I am forever grateful for those teachers who aided me. Omar was seen partying the night after the car accident. Omar never apologized to anyone for what he did. He showed no remorse. Omar was originally charged for second degree murder along with other crimes. At the conviction the charges for second degree murder were dropped because since Omar walked home the police did not find him until 5 hours later when there no longer was alcohol in his system. His blood tested positive for narcotics but they could not prove he was on them the night he was driving. Since Omar left us there to die he was not charged for second degree murder. Omar spent less than a year in jail.

I can’t say if Omar has been affected by the car accident at all but his actions do not reflect this. I no longer speak to either of my friends that were involved in the accident. There are many reasons for this. After the accident I was still able to graduate high school on time with help from my teachers and I went to college the following fall. I originally went to college at the University in my home town and then transferred to where I am now. It has been very hard. I feel as if no one will every truly understand what I have been through not even my parents.I constantly put on a happy demeanor for everyone. I honestly have no one I can talk to about this who I believe will understand what I am trying to express to them. I have found it very difficult to relate to others and to make friends. I have been dealing with depression as well. I am doing well academically and have been pushing myself to keep going with school and to become more independent but I feel just as physically and mentally drained as I have felt since after it happened. Having the scar on my leg has held me back so much it is crazy. I still cry at night about my frustrations with it and about what it represents. I am forever changed by the accident and I still get so angry that it had to happen and that it had to result this way. I hope so much that I will be able to figure out who I am and progress in life without this numbness. I also have mild PTSD. I am thankful to my body for shutting out what had happened so I am lucky to not have nightmares but I am still very tense while in the passenger seat as someone is driving at nighttime or any time. I am looking forward to connecting with others who have been through similar traumas. I feel that only another trauma survivor will understand the pain and challenges we all go through.

Reply: The Scar I See Everyday
by ewysocki on Sep 10, 2014, 01:20PM

Nora-

Thank you for sharing your story here. You have been through so much and still worked hard to graduate high school and go on to college. I hope you find support through this site and continue to heal.

My best,

Liz Wysocki
National TSN Coord
410-955-0396

by gundown91 on Feb 16, 2015, 01:56PM

Nora,

My situation is a lot different than yours and I’m not going to pretend that I know how you feel. Only you know how you feel.

The one thing we do have in common is a daily reminder by scars of a devastating moment in our lives. What I can tell you is it has been 24 years since I was shot by a guy suffering with road rage and there’s not a day that I’m not reminded of it.

I will try to make this quick but it’s important that you see what my scars remind me of every day.

I was a passenger in a pickup truck. The guy who shot me said that the guy driving the truck I was in cut him off in traffic 2.5 hours earlier. I wasn’t even in the truck when he claims it happened. I was 17 years old. He pulled up next to me about 2 feet away. He held a gun out his window and shot at me 5 times. 1 went thru the door and all the way thru me! He drove off and I got out of the truck and fell to the ground next to the Alaska highway. I could hardly breath. I knew I was dying and I did. They brought me back. The first go round in the hospital was 5.5 months. I died once and had my last rights read to me 5 different times. I spent a lot of the time in ICU on life support. Iv had 23 major surgeries. They removed all of my abdominal muscles and cut out my bellybutton. I said I wouldn’t go long with my story so I will leave out a lot of my hospital experience. My scars are nasty. I have tube holes and cut marks all over my stomach. From my chest all the way down to right above my you know what.

The guy served 4 years. I will serve the rest of my life.

Now you asked about dealing with scars. You will have ok days and you will have bad days. Every morning when I get out of the shower I have to look at it. There’s not a day that goes by that I’m not reminded. Some days I’m ok with it and I go on about my day. Then there’s days that I sit on my bench and just let the tears go. My family has learned on my bad days it’s best to leave me alone and allow me to cry. It seems to clear my head. The worst thing anyone can do is tell me they know how I feel. That only makes me angry. It was important for me to let my family know how I want to be dealt with on my bad days. The worst thing you can do is totally shut them out. Understand how they also feel.

I wish I could tell you it gets better And that one day you will forget all about it but that’s not reality. Scars don’t go away. Explain to those around you how you want to be dealt with on the hard days. when it’s time and you want to talk about it then talk about it. Believe it or not talking to someone does help the inner pain. Don’t get angry when they say they know how you feel. Their just trying to make you comfortable so you open up more.

What does help me is telling my story to the youth. They love hearing the story and it helps me to release some of the inner pain.

I hope you can find some sort of peace. Make a promise to yourself that your not going to try and numb it with alcohol and drugs. Nora if none of what I shared helped please hear this. Alcohol and drugs just make it worse. Believe me I know. I was an athlete in school and said I would never do drugs. In my 20’s the head pain was so bad that I tried numbing it. I took every pain pill I could find. It made everything so much worse. Thank God I have a wonderful wife that took control of that. All the pills did for me was let everything build up then I just finally collapse. The guy who shot me didn’t only kill me but he helped turn me into an addict. I do not use any more and haven’t for over 15 years but I’m still an addict. Iv had to learn to deal with physical pain because I can’t take pain medication for fear of getting back on them. Not having abdominal muscles results in a lot of physical pain.

Not sure if this helped but keep your head up.

Ed

by drew wattier on Feb 23, 2015, 06:57AM

Nora-
Like someone said, nobody can understand how you feel. I believe that nobody can imagine how I felt and I feel now. I believe it depends on the person and what happened to them. People can tell you positive things and support you, but caring for you I think is different how you feel (well at least at how I feel).
What I can tell you now, is that recently I have started to feel better talking to people have experienced something that I have been through. What you said make totally made sense to me. If you are bored, you can check out what I posted recently on this site called D & M Their lover story beats the nightmare.
Trust me, we gave been through the worst experience.

For me, recently (like 2 months ago) talking to people helps me to heal about everything. But for Omar, I will be honest, it brings me back to my nightmare and I hope he dies. I probably ruined the rules for this site, but it honestly how I feel.

If you ever want to email me to discuss some things, I would love to talk to you.

by Em1004 on Mar 17, 2015, 02:58AM

Nora,

Your story is so similar to mine! I was the passenger of an awful car accident. The driver was drunk, and I did not know how much he had to drink. We were going 90mph when he lost control and we hit a guard rail. He was ejected from the truck but I was inside (I was wearing my seatbelt, he was not). The truck rolled three times down a hill and then caught fire. I was pulled out and rushed to the hospital. He lost a leg from above the knee. I suffered major head trauma. He almost took my life and to this day he has no remorse for what he did to me. I have to remind myself that I need to do what is best for me and worry about getting myself back on the right track to living my life. We cannot worry about those who were in the accident with us. They did not seem to value our lives the way they should have. It sounds like we are both strong women who will overcome this trauma. We do not need past friends in our lives if they will only reflect negatively on us. I admire you for staying strong and working to overcome your struggles.

Wish you nothing but the best.

Emily