D & M Their lover strory beats the nightmare
by drew wattier on Feb 22, 2015, 11:34PM

D & M—THEIR LOVER STORY BEATS THE NIGHTMARE
If you read this or hear this, you might think what is the point? As I write this I actually wonder myself what is it my point? We had a great life. We graduated from Thurston High School together, and we graduated together at OSU. We earned good jobs, and on vacation we liked to travel. We had gone to Jamaica 3 times, Dominican Republic 3 times, Puerto Vallarta 2 times, Playa Del Carmen 8 times, Thailand 1 time, Costa Rice 1 time, and Hawaii 1 time. And yes, we both did sky diving.
We have been married for 18 years, and we have been together for 26 years on 10-31-14. Some people have told us that because we have been together for so long—we are incredible. As I write this I remember there has to be a point.
So…here is my point. On our last vacation on 11-30-12, we both were introduced to a nightmare. Maybe your opinion will decide how our love story beats this nightmare.
On 11-30-12 Michelle & I walked across a road from our Cabos Hotel to a restaurant (and yes, I did not use Cabos as a vacation place), and we both were hit by a car illegally driving 61MPH. The car driver didn’t stop and he drove away. People who witnessed the nightmare, they rushed to us to help us as they can do. As the horrible nightmare continued, people who responded to us covered Michelle with a blanket that signaled she was not breathing, and they believed that she had died.
And the nightmare begins…
Before you read what happened to us with this nightmare, you have to understand how Michelle and I’s love story started before then 11-30-12. It started way back in 1988. Michelle and I went to lunch together on October 31st—Halloween day, and despite the famous day of October 31, Michelle and I saw a human wearing a huge monkey costume riding a bicycle down the sidewalk. We both laughed so hard because the person was hilarious.
After we laughed, Michelle and I drove back to Thurston High School, we walked together back to Michelle’s class, and it ended with a hug and a kiss. Our decision was finally made. We decided we were an official couple. Our agreement was we were a couple and it resulted in Michelle went into Mr. Crep’s room, and I ran down the hall to my class before I jumped like 10 times to slap the ceiling as a celebration.
We went to a couple Proms and a Homecoming, and our relationship resulted in our classmates chose us that we were the couple that would be together forever. Of all the things that happened in our life, there are 4 things that are carved in my brain.
After we were hit by a car illegally driving 61MPH and he drove away, this nightmare resulted in many horrible things to us. Michelle had 43 surgeries and my right leg was removed above my knee in San Diego, Michelle had to get a metal rod in her left arm and in her left leg, and I got a metal rod in my left leg because 2 of my 4 muscles were removed.
In thinking all these things that happened to us, I guess there was one positive thing that happened to us during this nightmare. Medical people have told us that our brain was trying to support us and it helped us to live.
If that is truth, it explains why our memory was damaged so bad that we had no memory about the car hitting us at 61MPH in Mexico, the Mexico Hospital, the San Diego Hospital, the Portland Hospital and only bits of the Eugene Hospital. Because our “brain was trying to support us” we only know what happened to us by what we heard from our family and friends that witnessed things. Also, my work made an 81 page report of what happened to us and explains some things.
I should say that of all the horrible things that happened to us in this nightmare, I would say there are 3 things that happened to us that I have not written about them yet.
#1- My work sent an airplane to Mexico to return us to the states 3 days after the nightmare happened, but we were not able to return to states because we were not “medically released” to travel yet. Our insurance (Pacific Source) covered everything, and I won’t go into the cash that the Mexico Hospital wanted before we could leave, but I will leave it like that.
#2- Michelle was wearing bracelets, a necklace, earrings, and her wedding ring when the car hit us at 61MPH. Everything she was wearing was returned to her except one thing. Her wedding ring disappeared. Come on. Being hit by a car illegally driving 61MPH is crazy, but of all the low things you can do, making a wedding ring disappear is the worst thing that someone can do.

1. - I have listed the horrible things that happened to us, but I think the worst thing is we were separated from each other for almost a year—that was the worst.
    Since I have explained things that happened to us in this nightmare and I explained how we got together on 10-31-88, I will write some things about those 4 things carved in my brain. I thought they were carved in my brain because I believe they were special and they were important things in our life.
    But now, I am trying to understand how this nightmare appended to us. I don’t think I will ever know why it happened, but now I focus on what my friend told me. My buddy (Bo K) who was my friend for like 20 years said, “If 100 people walked on a cross walk to cross a road and were hit by a car driving 61MPH, there might be 1 person who would live.” He finished with, “Michelle and you lived. It is incredible that you both are alive. You both are a miracle.”
    I would never consider we were a miracle, but I think what (Bo K) said made me rethink what I said about the 4 things that were carved in my brain. I originally thought those 4 things were special and they were important things in our life. After rethinking, I really believe that those 4 things were carved in my brain for a reason.
    #1- 10-31-88 was the official date the D & M love story started. Nothing could beat a nightmare without being together with your best friend. I know being separated for a year was horrible, but we are finally back together. Michelle has seen me play baseball and soccer at least 5,000 times in our life. She supported me since 10-31-88, and she has traveled every place to cheer me on. She has a lot of stories and she still reminds me that one time I held a part of the other opponent’s jersey shirt in my hand. The referee only gave me a yellow card and I was able to play the rest of the game lol.
    She has supported me in hunting since 10-31-88. She has seen me hunting for deer and elk so many times. She refused to sit in my vehicle and read a book, but she prefers to hike and hopes to see something that I don’t see (good try—she is wrong-I see everything-lol). She says she likes to hike, but I really think she wants to walk with me because she wants to define what it means to be with your best friend. She has witnessed me fill my tags like 30 times, and all the things she has seen or been a part of, I think when she had to hold the elk leg when I gutted it is definitely the best. She said then and she would say it now that she hated the blood, but I really think she held the elk leg because she liked the elk meat.
    Are these things carved in my brain for a reason? I think this will explain how we think, and I believe they are carved in my brain for a reason. On one of our wedding anniversaries, we believed that these 3 quotes explain who we are. I painted these 3 quotes on our patio walls.
    #1- One life 2 live
    #2-Welcome to the good life
    #3- Shine until your heart stops
    #2- My Dad was a carpenter. When I was like 16 years old, my Dad wanted me to dig a ditch for pipes. I asked him some questions (I was probably complaining) he told me something that has been carved in my brain since that day. He told me, “I don’t care what you do in life for a job, but today you have to dig a ditch for the pipes. It is not easy to dig in that ground that is covered with rocks and we only have a shovel. So, dig the biggest, deepest, and perfect ditch as fast as you can do. And remember, you never give less than 100% effort.” His quote to me was carved in my brain, and I adopted his quote to me as how I want to live.
    #3- In 1989 I was playing a soccer game in Thurston. I remember that game was very important, and that team we were playing against was good and it put a lot of pressure on our team. I was running a lot and I was getting tired, I felt dry mouth, and I needed some water. I asked Coach Morelock if I could come out the game for something. He called for the referee and he said, “substitution.” I ran off the field and Coach Morelock asked me if I was ok? I told him I was fine, and I told him I just needed some water. He gave me a cup of water, and I drank it in like 3 seconds. After I drank the water in the cup, I tossed the cup on the ground and he saw me.
    He approached me and asked me if I needed any more water. I told him I was good. I was out of the game for like 30 seconds, and he yelled, “substitution.” I was surprised and asked him, who is the substitution for? He told me something that was carved in my brain in 1989, and it is still carved in my brain now. Coach Morelock said, “I picked you to be our Captain. I picked you because you won’t quit, and you have to lead our team to a win. So, you have to return to the game now.” I was a 17 years old and he told me something that somehow, some way, it was carved in my brain for a reason.
    Coach Morelock’s comment was carved in my mind since 1989, but it appeared again in a different situation. Many months ago I realized that I got something that is special from some of our best couple friends. I know we had a lot people that have supported us through this nightmare. My list of support of people that held our hands in the hospitals, stood by our sides in the hospital beds, flew to Mexico to see us and help us, flew to San Diego, and all the drives to the hospitals in Portland and Eugene, and on and on.
    The list of people who supported us throughout this nightmare is huge. But, the result of me in a coma for 39 days damaged a lot my memory. In the future, I would like to tell people that helped us, and they still help us, that we appreciate all their support and caring.
    Back to #4, our best couple friends gave me 2 sweatshirts. On one of the sweatshirts I got has a quote, “Simply believe.” The other sweatshirt quotes, “Never quit.” I think any sweatshirt could say anything. The fact of getting something that is a present is nice, but these 2 sweatshirts are just not nice, they are way more than that. Our best couple friends gave me the sweatshirts because they believed we will never quit and they know that we simply believe. On top of that, our best couple friends still wear a bracelet that we all made years ago. The bracelets quote, “One life 2 live.”
    I won’t call us a miracle, and I really don’t know how we lived after a car hit us at 61MPH. I guess reading this or hearing this you can decide how we lived. I will close with this….
    With my memory problems, the comas we were in, our horrible physical problems, being in 4 different hospitals, I think that the 4 things that are carved in by brain where there for a reason. Your opinion of how we beat this nightmare is up to you, but my opinion is those 4 things were carved in my brain because they helped us to beat this nightmare some way. No matter what happened to us, what (Bo K) said, “we are alive.”
    You might think did he finish this nightmare story? I actually thought I was done. As I tried to finish our love story against the nightmare, my brain is still packed with ideas and information that I want to write about. Maybe the story ended with your opinion of how we beat the nightmare? Or maybe “we are alive” is the quote that defines everything.
    I suppose following my ideas and information is my attempt to close this nightmare for us. My (S) “grieve” doctor reminds me that I need to get away from any negative thoughts and negative feelings I have. It seems obvious. Duh, get over it Drew. Or maybe what an American Indian elder said about this nightmare at a Pow-wow would allow me to get over it. He actually said something that we all at the Pow-wow felt same way, what he said caused all the people at the Pow-wow to line up to shake my hand with support. The necklace I got and the feather reminded me that my Indian blood honored me and gave me the power to live.
    To get over this nightmare, I need to focus on what my “grieve” doctor told me to do. My “grieve” doctor is a cool dude. He is a gym guy, so I connected with him. I am still trying to get over this nightmare. I need to get over things to get better, but I have difficulty getting over the fact that my leg is gone. I call it a “stump.” I know that a “stump” is not the medical term, but it is not a leg. I have taken a lot of showers on a “bench,” but one day I realized that my right leg was cut off so much.
    I have seen it a long time, but some way I didn’t realize how short it was. I actually felt surprised and I was in shock to see that my right leg was cut off so much. I guess the best thing about this nightmare is I am finally living with Michelle my best friend. I have a long way to get better, and I am working on everything. I am following what my “grieve” doctor told me to do. I need to focus on positive things and I need to stay away from negative thoughts and negative feelings I have.
    I will start to talk about people who helped me. Obviously, my family offered me a lot of support. Flying to Mexico, flying to San Diego, and traveling to Portland and Eugene proved they helped me to get through this nightmare. I know my family said positive stuff about us to help us live, but when my mom said we are “survivors and fighters” that was the best thing I have heard.
    My sis moved from her state to Eugene to help me. Obviously giving up her job and moving here to help me proved that she cared for me. I see pictures and videos of me in hospitals and she was there for me. I would offer more examples of how she supported me, but most of it is based on pictures I see.
    One day when my memory changes and I remember things that I have experienced, I would write about them. I totally realize that our family experienced horrible things, and I realize that since our memory did not allow us to know what happened to us, they had the worst experience from all of us. For now, I would tell them I appreciate them for standing by our sides through this nightmare.
    I had 3 of my great work friends that flew to San Diego to see me. Flying to San Diego to see me is crazy. All they wanted was for me to get better. Even though I was in a coma and my memory does not allow me to know they were there and I couldn’t talk—they didn’t care. They were there to support me and they believed I would beat this nightmare.
    One of my great friends (DD) since we were friends in high school flew to San Diego to see me. He was the person that my mom asked to make a huge decision. The question was that my right leg had to be removed above my knee or the medical people said I would probably die. Removing the leg was the best chance so I could live. (DD) said it was a clear decision. He said, “He is warrior. The Indian warrior will beat this, so the leg must be removed.”
    Wow!!! I guess we have a lot of decisions in life, but this decision has to be the hardest thing for someone to do it. Although my memory problem does not allow me to know most of stuff that happened, I still remember he took me from the Portland Hospital to the Eugene Hospital. Although I thought he was taking me home, (lol) I want to tell (DD) and Tab that we appreciate them and their family.
    One of my friends (Carrie) who flew to San Diego to see me and Michelle, Carrie also drove to the Portland Hospital to see us. The things she did for us were huge. I saw a KVAL news notice and Carrie was talking about what was happening to us. Carrie also has seen me in the Eugene Hospital and she still visits us now. Her goal was to watch us to get better. I watch a video when I was in the Portland Hospital and my hair was being cut. Because of my brain damage, I was nervous from the noise of the clipper. Carrie held my chin and my hand and she explained to me that I was ok and my hair was getting cut. She could sit down, walk away, or she could stand there and say nothing. But she talked to me, held my chin and my hand, and she was able to calm me down to get through it. We want to tell Carrie that we appreciate her support and we thank her.
    I will return to the San Diego visit. My other friend (RR) does not like to fly. I guess the pills he took helped him to make it there. He has been my friend for like 20 years. A video I see of him and me in the San Diego Hospital proves why he is my friend. I was in a wheelchair, I was in a coma, my right leg was removed above my knee, I could not talk, but he said something to me that registered on my brain that other people could not do. Everybody wanted me to stand up. They told me I could grab the bars and they would help me to stand up. I guess the physical therapy people could hold me up so I would not fall down. I have no idea what was happening.
    All I wanted was for the people to leave me alone. I pulled my hat down covering my face, and I would not move. Then suddenly (the video shows) I heard (RR) say, “Everyone has told you to stand up. You know what to do. Get the $#@ up or I will punch you in your face.” Somehow, some way, his voice or the threat (lol) toward me caused me to get up. It was crazy. I only know this because of the video. But he knew me and he knew what he should say that will cause me to stand up. I won’t go into him training me at the gym in my wheelchair, but I want tell him and Terra that we thank you both. And Terra, remember he can get on a plane.
    One of my friends Lee did not stop seeing me in a hospital, but he continued and he still continues to see me every week. I remember when I got surgery on my left ankle and leg, he saw me at my place. He took me in a wheelchair to the garage and he had me stretch my leg. Sometimes I did not want to do anything, but he always pushed me hard. He did not do this one time, but every week he came over and he took me to the garage and he helped me. After I was finally able to move in with my wife, he still meets me at the gym 2 or 3 times every week. He also told me something that he tells me frequently. Some medical person said I could never walk again. At the gym, he reminds me that I am proof that the person was wrong. I have a long way to get better, but I want him to keep pushing me and I want him to know that I thank him.
    I need to go back to the positive things that my work did for us during this nightmare. My “boss” arranged a plane so we could return to the states. Despite we could not return yet because we were not “medically released” the fact that my “boss” arranged a plane to return us to the states was incredible. Better than that, my “boss” sent people there to make an 81 page report of what happened to us. The positive things that my work did for us proved that we will never quit. Something that is better than incredible, despite I had to retire since I was not able to work, my “boss” sated that I might able to return if I improve in everything. I can’t say 100
    that I will be better enough to return, but when (DD) in San Diego said I am a warrior reminds me that I will never quit and I will beat this nightmare.
    My brain is so full with so many thoughts. I want to get over this nightmare, so I will continue to write things that are on my mind. After moving in with Michelle, I went to CRS. I met Jan and she helped me with all my problems. She has given me so many tests and experiences. When I met her for training, I could barely write and talk. Talking is still hard for me. She has helped me with a lot of stuff, but she is focused on speech therapy for me. She thinks I am talking better…at least better than I was. What was easy for me before the nightmare, talking and having conversations is still so hard for me. I know I have to SLOW DOWN, but clearly my brain thinks faster before my mouth responds. To improve me, Jan and Marty helped me to participate with 2 things. I became a volunteer with the Smart Program, and I became a volunteer at my gym.
    Smart Program is about the kids, but for me it helps me to talk clearly and slow down. I see 3 kids once a week and I volunteer at the gym 2 times a week. The gym volunteer position allows me to talk clearly and have conversations. Conversations should be simple and easy. What should be easy, but it is another hard thing for me to do. I appreciate everything Jan and Marty did for me, but the shirt they got for me is the best. They flew to Boston. When they were there, they got me a shirt that says, “Boston Strong.”
    The shirt is about Jeff Bauman. Jeff and I have experienced a lot of similar things, so the book “Stronger” that my sis got for me allows me to know someone else has realized a nightmare like me. Marty read the book also, and Marty and Jan got me the shirt because they think I am “Wattier strong.”
    Since I am still trying to understand this nightmare, I have to remind myself to focus on positive things. Part of that is extending my thank you to some people. My list of thank yous will continue through the years, but part of my memory issue will hopefully heal over time.
    One couple I remember through this nightmare is Chad and Tiffany. I see them in videos with me, holding my hands, talking to me and telling me positive encouraging comments. Because my head injury caused me to have little memory of what happened to me, I have bits of memory when Tiffany was in my hospital room. I really don’t know what was happening, but I can still see Tiffany’s face. On top of that, I totally remember when Chad took me out of the Eugene Hospital. He got me out of my wheelchair, put me in his vehicle, took my wheelchair, he took me to see many of my work friends. Despite my memory issues, I totally remember what I said to him when I got in his vehicle and he shook his head. I want to extend a thank you to both of them.
    I am still in shock that Patty drove to the Portland Hospital and the Eugene Hospital numerous times to see me and Michelle. Her plan was to cut and style our hair. Yes, this is true. She drove to Portland to cut my hair when I was still messed up with my head injury. On top of that, she kept a text that I sent to her when I was in the Eugene Hospital. I have a long way to get better, but what I sent her was crazy. The words were this—I will waca/uh un lfe/evav neved her/uh like like lca. I still have no idea what I was trying to say then, but now I will say that we appreciate her care and we thank her.
    Living without a leg is horrible. I was in a LOW place for a long time. But when I finally met Nathan K and Sara, things started to change. Nathan K was the brother of Bo K, and he was able to connect me with Sara. The caring and attention he gave me made me rethink how I feel. On Halloween 2013 I answered the door with a bowl of candy for the kids in my wheelchair. On Halloween 2014 I opened the door with the bowl of candy and I was standing on my feet. Thanks to Nathan K and Sara I am starting to do things I could not do for a long time. I have a huge way to get where I want to be, but I believe I will be there thanks to them.
    Sara was able to help me so much. Sara’s advice and experience, has resulted in me not needing the wheelchair or any crutches. Somehow, some way, she treats me like I will never quit. On 8-14-14 I was able to connect with Sara. I have heard so many medical terms about my prosthetic leg and how it was designed so that I can understand what I have to do to be better. Everything I heard is important. But there was one thing that was carved on my brain. When I finally was able to connect with Sara, she told me, “I will never accept failure.”
    What Sara told me about not accepting failure makes sense to me. If there is “One life 2 live” and you “never quit” and “you simply believe” and you meet Sara who will “never accept failure” the future looks like it will be good for me. My experience from Sara changed my mind. With my perseverance, being with my best friend, our love story will beat this nightmare.
    Like I said earlier when I wrote this story, I was told that my memories will pop up in my head sometimes. When things suddenly pop in my head, I get really happy. Since we still want to send thanks to people, I will write about them now.
    Danika, my physical therapist, has and is still teaching me so I can learn how to live with a leg that is gone. The medical people said it takes like 60 or 70 percent more energy to walk and other things, and trust me that it is totally true. She knows what I want. She believes I will “never quit”, so she pushes me really hard. Walking 20 feet with a right leg that is gone and a left leg that had 2 muscles removed is great. But even walking 500 feet is not great for me, when I can jog even 20 feet I will be excited.
    Danika expects me to get better, and her positive comments toward me are appreciated. With all the horrible things that I have been through, I am alive and I believe Danika and Sara will lead me to happiness. We just want to say—thank you Danika and Sara.
    Pacific Source (our insurance) was not good. They were incredible! They have supported us from Mexico to the states. With Michelle’s 43 surgeries and my right leg gone, they helped us through this medical nightmare. They are still supporting us through all this stuff we have to do to get better. On top of that, we talked to Carrie from Pacific Source on 10-31-14 and she told me I was approved for the Genium. We have read and heard that the Genium is the best prosthetic leg.
    I actually thought that the Genium, after I learn about it, it will hopefully result in me returning to my job. Carrie told me that they decided to approve me for the Genium because I had perseverance. I don’t know about other insurance companies, but we can say Pacific Source Insurance is the best. We just want to say—we thank you.
    I have said so many times that I need to focus on positive things and positive people in order for me to heal. That brings me back to Chad and Tiffany. They met us for dinner the other day. I know that people have said that we have improved so much, but normally I smile and I don’t believe them. I only focus on how I am now. But Chad and Tiffany gave us examples of how we were in the hospitals. What they said definitely changed how I think. Wow, wow, wow. What they said for sure shows me that we have improved. Chad reminds me of something that happened like 10 or 15 years ago while he watched me…or maybe he watched so he would have evidence lol. When he started to tell each story, every memory popped in my head clearly. It was so clear that they seemed like they happened 5 minutes before he talked.
    Tiffany said so many things that were positive and were very meaningful to us. Her story of a computer desktop screen of us and she told us about her presentations speeches, and it made me need to take a break. I couldn’t even look at her until I grabbed my napkin. My excuse for taking a break while she was talking was that my napkin fell. Damn napkins. I will close—we thank you both.
    I was a friend with Jason since I was in high school. He told me to change my job and I should try to get hired where he works. So that is how I was hired for the County in 1998. I see pictures of him in the hospitals and I totally appreciate him for standing by my side. Some of my memories just pop in my head and I totally remember when he went to my condo and made a ramp there so I could get in the living room in a wheelchair. After I moved in with my family so we could sell the condo, Jason made another ramp so I could get in there with my wheelchair.
    When I could finally move in with Michelle, Jason made another ramp so I could get from the house to the garage. He also donated a lot of his money to our medical fund. Seeing what he did for use was incredible. It brings me back to when he worked with me in my dad’s construction company for years. Despite my memory issues, I totally remember one time when I was in a portable bathroom. When I opened the door from the loud noise like it was hit by a semi- truck, I saw Jason laughing so much he almost fell down.
    Somehow, some way, the wind picked up a 30 plus pound beam and it hit the portable bathroom when I was in it. That was his story 20 plus years ago and he would say the same thing now. I guess the wind and the beam caused my shorts to be covered with wetness. I should have put my wet shorts in his truck, but I guess since I couldn’t see anything I guess his laughter was created by the wind. We just want to say—we thank you.
    With all the issues I have, the simplest things are definitely hard for me now. Talking is hard for me. I guess my brain thinks faster than my mouth can respond. Some connection between my head and my mouth was damaged when I was hit by a car driving at 61MPH, and the coma that I was in 39 days caused the problem.
    Clearly, I need to practice a lot every day. That brings me back the Gym comment I made earlier. Thanks to Skye and Brandon, I was chose to do volunteer at the International Fitness 2 times a week. My purpose is to talking to people who walk in and talking to them when they leave. For a week, I could never say International Fitness. For me, it should be easy. I tell myself, Duh Drew figure it out. I have practiced it each day at home or in a vehicle and I finally got it. My point is that Skye and Brandon have respected me from all the years they have known me, and they allowed me to volunteer there to let me practice on the simple things is appreciated. We just want to say—we thank you.
    I have talked about the name of Carrie before, but this person (spelled differently) I have not talked about this Carey. Carey L. was my speech therapist in Eugene. Mostly when I saw her, I was in my wheelchair. When I got better and I did not use the wheelchair, I never saw her without my crutches. Obviously, I could hardly talk. Writing was horrible, and memorizing stuff was beyond my ability. She taught me so much, and she gave me so many forms to work on. I totally remember that I worked with an elementary age notebook for a long time to practice.
    I still can’t believe I could not text, type, or even writing with a pen. And the addition and subtraction forms was hard then. Now I actually think, “What the heck happened to Drew?” I finally understand that I suffered a major head injury. Of everything she did for me so that I could get better was appreciated. However, sending me e-mails to check on me to see if am improving was over the top. The e-mails to me proves that she cares about her patients. I think she lives her life to make sure her patients improve. Her actions support what Sara told me, “I will never accept failure.” Living like that, and her emails to me definitely proves that she wants me to improve. We just want to say—we thank you.
    Dave and Becky have helped us so much. I heard that Dave called my mom and he told her that we in the Mexico Hospital because we were hurt, and I still can’t believe he had to make that call. It had to be horrible to make that call. But like Dave, he did it with confidence and he knew it was the right thing to do. As I said this so many times, my memory was damaged so much that I can’t remember a lot of stuff. However, I started to see Dave and Becky on my brain. I can see them in a restaurant that Michelle and I went to have a meal with them after we were able to move in together. I hope I am right, because I can see Becky like Tiffany in my hospital room.
    Despite my memories issues, I can still see when Dave was on a zip line in Dominican Republic on a vacation. Despite this famous zip line, I totally remember when Dave was on it and it didn’t stop where it should. His ear was torn up and he had a lot of blood. I can see Becky’s caring face. Since I announced to the Dominican Republic zip line people that I was a medical response person (lol), they put me in charge. It is a story we can tell forever, but he still owes me a shirt because his blood was on me since I had no gloves on. We just want to say—we thank you both.
    There was someone that I haven’t mentioned yet. I have not used a person’s badge number during this Nightmare story, but this number will be added. #112 is the number that is in my phone for a reason. #112 say’s gramma. The important thing is my blood grandmother is not part of my life. However, my phone say’s gramma. I don’t care about a blood grandmother. What I really care about is, this person is truly my gramma.
    I have been told that #112 visited us in the hospital many times. Despite I could not talk and I could not walk, she was there to support us. There has not one week that have passed without being contacted from gramma on my phone. The 2 blankets that our on couches now, they were actually given to Michelle and I when we were in the hospitals beds. I have known #112 for many years, and even #112.5 grampa let me know how things are going for them. All I really care for is one day I hope to get better enough to return to work, and I will get a gramma hug. For now, we just want to say—we thank you gramma.
    Lin has been incredible. He is truthful, fair, and he understands me. His knowledge, experience, and his positive comments about me allowed Pacific Source to approve me to get the Genium. My team of people; Dr. Lin, Nathan, Sara, and Danika were the reason why I got the Genium. Even when I went to his office with crutches, he believed I would never quit and he thought I would get better. I am way better. The crutches are gone, and I am working on everything else to get better. We just want to say—we thank you.
    I started to drive when I was 16 years old. After the nightmare, I could not drive. I met someone in Eugene about legal driving solutions. There was many tests I had to do to prove that I could drive. I think most of it was legal stuff, and I know that was required for me, so I did them. Despite I passed and I could legally drive, my experience was horrible and I disagreed with my results in the rinky dink office. I was also asked if I could take my leg off to drive. Seriously, that was told to me. Well my right leg was removed above the knee in San Diego in late of December 2012 when I was still in a coma.
    Clearly, I was not happy living with a prosthetic leg. Yes, I was happy to pass the legal tests to prove that I can drive. But when I was told, “can you take your leg off” because “normally people take their leg off to drive” crossed the line of understanding. Maybe I should ask them if they can take their leg off. That resulted in more discussions about what we should do. I mean I passed, so maybe I should move on. I could not stop thinking about it, and I needed to know what I should do.
    When talking with my best friend who is my wife, we decided to get another opinion. After researching and talking to other people that offered us their opinion, we made an appointment in Corvallis. We went to Corvallis to meet someone at the Samaritan Physical Rehabilitation.
    I met Occupational Therapist Amy N. there. She was professional, knowledgeable, explained everything to me, she understood what I have been through, and her attitude made me feel like she cared. She was not easy….she was very tough. I had to do some many tests: following directions, map reading, comprehension, identify traffic signs, vision stuff, steering, brake and gas pedal and on and on. I wish it was easy, but it is was way hard.
    After the “tests” I had to do, I was approved to drive. The best thing that Amy did was she recommended that I need some modifications. She recommended that my vehicle needed to modify with a left sided accelerator pedal. Her opinion was I can control my gas and brake pedal with my left leg, because my right side in not adequate to do so safety. At least she did not ask me if I could take my leg off—lol. With Amy’s recommendation, we sold my manual transmission vehicle and we bought an automatic vehicle. We were able to get a company to move the gas pedal to the left side. Thanks to Amy’s guidance, I can drive without problems. We just want to say—we thank you.
    Back to automatic vehicle. I searched for an automatic FJ for a long time. I went to a lot of places to get what I wanted. I wanted to trade my manual transmission FJ for an automat7ic FJ. Despite all these places that said we had a deal, we never got a deal because there was always an issue. In my search, I saw a place called Mini Portland that had a FJ that I liked. I contacted Peter Hisey via email, and I explained to him what I needed. I sent him pictures of my FJ that I had to sell, and without seeing my FJ in person, he gave me a ballpark amount for my FJ that was in the ballpark of what I wanted.
    I really did not want to waste his time, and I explained that I had to (at my expense) move the gas pedal to the left side. I wanted him to know that I was not making stuff up, so I told him he could Google us on line, so he knows I am truthful and why I had to sell my FJ. When we got at Mini Portland, Peter was professional, explained everything stuff to us clearly, and was not pushing us to make a deal. He understood what I wanted, and the deal was close. After Peter agreed with what I wanted, he was able to switch the tires and rims from my old FJ to the new FJ I liked. We signed the papers and a deal was made.
    What surprised us before the deal was made, it was when he left his office for a bit. When he was gone, my wife saw his computer screen. On the screen it said, “Michelle takes her first steps.” Obviously, he researched us on line and he knew I was truthful. I never want attention from anyone. But what is important to me is being fair, understanding, professional, respectful, and polite is how I wanted to live. Clearly, Peter was the definition of how I want to live. We only have one life to live, and Peter is a person that supports that. We just want to say—we thank you and Mini Portland is the greatest.
    I hate my major brain injury caused me many problems for me. My goal is that writing this, I will heal over time and when things pop in my head I get excited. That brings me to the Zuniga family. I have seen 208 and 208.5 at our place to check on us. Everything they said to us was caring and supported. When they visited us I had a memory that popped in my head when they stayed the night at our condo years ago, before we had to sell it. The best part of that experience was when they went to a bar on Sunday to watch the Cowboys game with us.
    208 sends me many texts to me to check on us. It really means a lot that we on his mind. Even though he had to leave our place because of budget cuts, he still contacted me from Portland where they lives and where he works. 208 and 208.5 is incredible, and their kids are growing up. He sends us many pictures of the girls, and I get excited when I see them. I love the pictures, but the pictures on Christmas Day was the best. 208 and 208.5 made a tee-pee inside their house, so the girls can experience what a tee-pee is like. Seeing the girls with smiles is the best.
    I still have more people to write about, and I want to send a thank you to them.