Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Broke every bone in my face

Broke every bone in my face
by Amanda on Oct 07, 2015, 06:59AM

I’ve been really troubled by the car crash I was in. I feel have such a sour heart towards the driver! I try to tell everyone that wants to punch his face in “no” but I can’t help at night when I can’t sleep that I want to see him in pain. I know horrible.

I was a passenger in a truck. The sucky driver hit a tree which it only hit my side. The firemen had to do the “jaws of life on me” and the paramedics thought I was dead. I was transferred to a hospital that worked on the face and arm more so? Anywho I broke ever bone in my face leaving me swollen and with a slanted lip… The doctors didn’t think I would breath correctly or even think correctly, but it’s been three months and I can walk talk and look kinda the same just with a bunch of bad ass scars. The driver went to the hospital but was shortly released due to the fact that nothing was wrong with him. I could say a lot of hurtful things towards him but I’m not and at least he doesn’t have to go threw what I’m going threw….

I still have a bunch of surgeries and I can’t seem to sleep at night. I just am very confused with my life and I’m hoping this website helps me understand what others went threw. I’m glad I survived but at times I think that the devil is just working on my side.

Reply: Broke every bone in my face
by KatyHollis on Oct 08, 2015, 11:52AM

Thanks for sharing your story.

I was injured in an accident in 2007 with my children. We attended our town’s fireworks show and there was a misfire and a firework landed and exploded on us. Like you, we were seriously injured through no fault of our own.

I was in a lot of physical pain and also endured multiple surgeries. And I was very angry. There wasn’t one single thing that worked. It was a lot of different things: I worked with social workers, I took antidepressants, I exercised, I attended support groups. And it took time.

Give yourself time. I can’t tell you how long it is going to take for you to work through your anger. Can you find someone to talk to? Perhaps getting in touch with a social worker at the hospital where you were treated can help.

by Amanda on Oct 08, 2015, 09:00PM

I’m sorry that something horrific happened to you, but I’m glad to hear you have worked on dealing with the pain… I’ve tried to see if there is someone or a group to talk to and there isn’t anything where I live so I guess I could commute but I’m not even sure if I’ll be comfortable talking to strangers and I can’t even talk to my own family…. I don’t know…. I should just get over the fear of others coming into my life cause I need something to keep me pushing because my journey has just begun!

by ScarlettC on Jul 30, 2016, 09:30PM

As someone with severe trauma scars, I absolutely love when fellow survivors call their own scars Bad Ass. They are! Also, it is completely normal to be angry at the driver, especially when their lawyers tell them to never speak to the people they have injured and you are unable to get closure.

That person’s repercussions are his own. It is time for you and your family and friends to focus completely on your well being. You will feel better eventually. My accident was five years ago and I cannot believe the positive emotional progress I have made since that terrifying day.

I have a little grudge against the driver still, who has never contacted me after nearly killing me, but it no longer eats away at me and has not stopped me from forgiving him in general.

Please keep updating us on your progress! Wish you the best!