Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

The day I died

The day I died
by nicole529 on Nov 18, 2015, 04:18AM

On June 14, 2015, I fell asleep on my way home from my friend’s house. I hit the guardrail, went down the exit incline, across the four lanes of the interstate, and hit the cement barrier head on. Luckily, nobody else was on the interstate. I fractured every bone in my neck and had an open fracture of my left ankle, but these were the least of my problems. My liver was basically shattered and disconnected from the IVC, I lost my left kidney, lost my spleen and gallbladder, and my right lung collapsed. During my 14 surgeries that I had, I flatlined four times. I was in a medically induced coma for almost two weeks and my stomach was left open for nine. When I finally came out of it I was informed that I had a 2% chance to live and my liver surgeon, who was the chief at CMC, had never seen anybody survive the liver injury alone in over 20 years, much less with everything else that was injured. I was in ICU for two months and finally discharged for the first time. TSN saved my life even when I thought I didn’t need any more saving. They helped me to realize that I was not alone in this and that I was not the only one feeling this way.

Reply: The day I died
by ewysocki on Dec 03, 2015, 03:14PM

We are so happy to hear that the TSN was helpful to you. The TSN at CMC is extraordinary.

by ScarlettC on Jul 30, 2016, 09:18PM

Nicole, I’ve read a lot of posts and yours made me tear up with gratitude that you made it through. That is a really scary experience and we are all so glad you survived it and can tell it! Hope you’re doing well.

by Laurie1112 on Aug 25, 2016, 01:55PM

Your story shows me how lucky I’ve been. But, it saddens me for what you’ve gone through. I am so very sorry for your pain. I can only imagine the degree to which you have suffered. You are very strong to have survived. God must have plans for you.