Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

ilizarov or taylor spatial external fixator experience?

ilizarov or taylor spatial external fixator experience?
by Tori777 on Feb 26, 2016, 03:44PM

Nearly six months after my accident I have been told that chronic infection is slowing down the healing of the bones in my right broken ankle (compound fracture tib and fib). Surgeons want to remove all the plates and screws previously inserted and use an external fixator until the bones are adequately healed.
I’m interested to hear the experience of others with these frames and how you coped. I had just started to weight bear in the cam boot with crutches and was devastated to be told I would have to lose my mobility again.

Reply: ilizarov or taylor spatial external fixator experience?
by Wsparks24 on Feb 23, 2019, 10:11PM

My husband is going on 6 months post accident. He has been through two different types of external fixators and has had one on since his accident in September. He has not been able to bear weight or take a step without crutches in almost 6 months. We r still looking at possibly 6 more months before that happens. But anyways, the one thing he complains about the most is the ex fix. He wants it off so bad he can’t stand it. He says that gets to him mentally more than anything, so far. I have to keep reminding him this is temporary! I know that is way easier for me to say as I get up and use both feet to walk on my own. But this is not your life forever!!! You will bare weight again. The ex fix has been such a struggle to get pants on over and around it, but it won’t be like this forever!

Reply: ilizarov or taylor spatial external fixator experience?
by atsintern on Feb 25, 2019, 03:13PM

Thank you for sharing your experience and inquiries in the community forum, Victoria. We hope you continue to find people like Whitney (thank you for sharing your husband’s experience, Whitney) who will be able to give you some insight into these difficult processes. Sometimes it is that kind of feedback that can make the difference in the way an operation/problem is faced. I will reach out to you soon with TSN and national resources as options for your continued recovery. We are with you as you continue this process of recovery.