in the blink of an eye
by reidy1 on Feb 29, 2016, 07:46PM

In the blink of an eye my life forever changed. I dont remember my accident at all but i will tell whats been told to me..it was a wednesday august 27 2014. i can tell it started out like every wednesday i either was off from work or i took a vacation day to go to my local motocross track to ride.I had been doing this for more years than i can remember but this day would end up different. I crashed from what i was told over a jump called the plunge i personally believe i also was landed on and run over although no one will come forward the gear i was wearing has what appears to be tire marks going across my back. My next memory i was in a hospital staring at my wife i was very confused and she told me i crashed my first thought was she needs to call my boss.she started to cry and told me he already new and that i had been a coma for 2 months and it was the end of october and he and his wife had visited me several times i could not believe it to me it was still august.while i was in the coma i had approx 20 surguries.doctors removed my slpeen,gallblader,apendix and a 3rd of my pancres.i went thourgh 21 pints of blood before they stopped the enternal bleeding.i flatlined twice both lungs were collapsed ribs broken fractured back and torn rotator cuffs.i was on a ventilator that was doing most of my breathing for me.i was paralyzed for a few months both legs and my left arm and hand.last but not least i had a punctured stomach and the doctors did not think i would survive another surgury and it should heal by itself well it took 4 months to heal during that time i was feed tpn through a iv nothing not even water was allowed.anything that passed through my mouth would come right out my stomach and contaminate me and i could possibly die.the doctors had left my abdominal area open for approx 3 months before they decided they could close me for whatever reason they had to do a skin graft i no longer have nice abs and am pretty disfigured i wear a abdominal binder to try and hold in the disgusting stomach i now have.before i got hurt i spent every day in the gym staying fit i was 197 pounds of muscle very little fat by the time my stomach healed i was 132 pounds.once my stomach healed i was transfered to kessler rehab where i learned to walk again dress myself feed myself and be a person again that lasted about a month and than on to outpatient care for the next 7 months and it all happened in the blink of an eye.i still suffer affects my left arm and hand are numb all the time as are both feet and my right fingers my left thumb no longer works and my stomach and or skin graft hurts 24/7.i was a lineman for the electric company pseg for 26 years needed 5 more years for a full pension but they declared me totally and permanently disabled and relieved me of my job.i find every day to be a struggle but i will fight every day to get better i owe that much to all the doctors and nurses that saved my life and to the most special person my wife who stood by my side and prayed even when she was told i would most likley not survive she never left my side without her i would not be here today..