Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

I lost my boyfriend in a car accident caused by a drunk driver

I lost my boyfriend in a car accident caused by a drunk driver
by cici1822 on Apr 22, 2016, 11:40AM

I am trying to deal with the death of my boyfriend and best friend. I am trying to wrap my head around the fact that I walked away from the accident with barely any injuries but my boyfriend died after being in the ICU for 8 days. My boyfriend meant the whole world to me. He was the one who was always there for me when I needed someone. We would not have been on the road still if it wasn’t for me wanting to go to the store. I feel so guilty because we would have been safely at home if I didn’t want to stop. He showed me so much love and support. Now I don’t want to do anything, I am tired all the time but I can’t sleep. If I do sleep, it’s only for a few hours. I don’t care about what I eat. I am indifferent to everything. I don’t find comfort anything I used to, reading, my family, nothing is making me feel better. I just want to sleep. I am only 22 years old and my boyfriend was only 24 with his whole life in front of him. He was getting himself together and everything was falling into place for him. I know how I am feeing isn’t healthy and I know he would hate for me to be this way when all he wanted for me was to be happy and smile. Because of the accident, I can’t even focus on school and I’m only a few weeks away from receiving my masters. I don’t know how to pull myself together without feeling like I’m going to fall apart. My family is taking care of me and making sure that I eat, even though I don’t care what it is. I live on my school’s campus but I’m not sure I will be able to take care of myself. I knew my boyfriend for 9 years but we were only dating again for 2 months. We were so happy and our future together was cut short when we thought we had years together. I don’t know how to deal with this. I don’t really cry much, when people constantly bother me, I get angry and yell at them, and other time, I just am apathetic.

Reply: I lost my boyfriend in a car accident caused by a drunk driver
by Deleted User on Apr 22, 2016, 11:58AM

Cici, I’m so sorry for your loss. Your boyfriend sounds like a very special young man and he clearly had a place in your heart that no one else could fill. Your mind is working overtime to make sense out of something that doesn’t make any sense at all…and that’s exhausting. I’m so glad for you that you have family who can and do care for you and help remind you to do those normal things that hold little interest for you right now. The feelings you describe would be recognized by anyone who has grieved. The fact that others feel what you feel may not bring comfort now, but the “road” you’re on has been traveled by others and, when it feels right to you, you might want to seek out a group where you can share your stories with others traveling that way. I’m glad you reached out here. Sometimes I find it helps me just to put my thoughts into writing. Somehow it can make them less scary when I can see them. Maybe that’s true for you too? The best advice I’ve ever received is to be gentle with yourself. Grieving takes time and lots of energy.