Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Does it ever get any easier

Does it ever get any easier
by Kinseyy77 on Jul 03, 2016, 03:32AM

Was in a car accident with my bestfriend two months ago. Wasn’t wearing my seatbelt, do my head hit the windshield and the airbag hit my face. They had to drag me out and cut my bloody clothes off of me and put me on a board with a cone around my neck. Was rushed to the local small town hospital and they told me that the entire right side of my face was shattered, my sinus was shattered, my orbital bone, face was burned by chemicals in airbag, and that my eye was open and that I would lose it. I was life flighted to Emory hospital in Atlanta for treatment. I was there for days, and they told me that I would keep my eye but I’d never see out of it again. My bestfriend walked away from the wreck with a bruise on her arm and has ignored me since. I have good days and bad days, days where I can get out of bed, fake a smile. And I have days that I can’t leave my bed. I know that things could have been much worse. And I’m lucky I survived but I can’t stop hearing the crunching metal, feeling the airbag punching hitting me over and over. Every time I close my eyes I remember reaching up to my face, feeling my skin moving, melting under my fingers. Blood coming from my nose, my eye, my skin.I’m so tired, can’t sleep because of the nightmares. I sleep 4-6 hours every two days. I’m only 17, but at my worst I wish I had died that night. I have nobody, the bestfriend, the person I needed most abandoned me “because I’m not as fun”. It’s so hard to talk about, makes me cry and makes me sick….but my counselor thinks it’ll be good for me to connect on here since I used to be big on social media. I just want to go back to normal. I never used to be so sad. I just want to get better.

Reply: Does it ever get any easier
by KatyHollis on Jul 03, 2016, 11:02AM

Kinsey,

It does get easier. But it will take time. I’m so glad you reached out with your post. And I’m so glad you have a counselor.

Your recovery will have good days and bad days. My accident was in 2007 and I remember feeling like every time I made some progress it was followed up with a set back. It felt like I was never going to be normal again. I promise you will get there. Take it moment by moment.

Your friends might change. That’s okay. They don’t know how to cope and talk to you and they think it might be easier to not say anything. I think that happens to all of us who have a experienced a trauma. The friends that you think will be there for you disappear and you find out that there are other people who step up who you never thought would.

I’m sorry that you’re not sleeping. Talk to your counselor and talk to your doctor to see what they can do to help with that. Don’t give up and if something isn’t working try something new.

Remember, moment by moment. Your recovery takes time. The physical and the emotional. You’re not alone in this.

Best,
Katy

by nicole529 on Jul 08, 2016, 12:07AM

Kinsey, I promise it will get easier. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time and there are some people that don’t understand how to be there for people when they go through something like. I’m extremely happy that your counselor told you to connect on here, even if it is hard at first. I can tell you from experience one of the things that hurt the worst was having to find out who wasn’t actually willing to be there for me after my accident.

After trauma we all go through so many emotions that it is hard for us to see anything after the trauma itself and the recovery process. And unfortunately the process is long and you will never be the person you were before the accident happen, but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing! Slowly but surely everything is going to get easier, just remember that even things that you feel like are baby steps can really be a milestone and that every improvement is a big deal!

by sabrinaxraquel on Jul 10, 2016, 07:22PM

I was just in a bad car accident a few weeks ago. Tomorrow will be two weeks. I can definitely relate to the feelings of living the trauma over and over again. I was knocked unconscious when my car flipped and i hit my head so hard it caused a degloving injury over my left forehead and eyebrow, the skin was torn off and my skull was exposed. I also broke my neck and my left arm. I worry what my face is going to look like, because it is a mess right now. I was a pretty girl, i still am but now i will have a huge scar and im missing half my eye brow. When i dont keep busy i keep thinking about waking up in the car, the medics having to use the jaws of life to pry open the door, being told to keep still even though i wanted to get up and run away from the car because of all the adrenaline, and hearing the medics talk about how they thought i had an open skull fracture all while i was screaming in pain and begging them to please not let me die. You really find out who your true friends are when something like this happens. Im very dissappointed in the lack of concern a lot of my friends have shown, but for every person that has let me down there is someone else that has come through for me more than i ever thought they would. Youd like to think that everyone would be as supportive, bit the truth is that until youve lived through something so traumatic y0ou dont understand how scary and life changing it can be. You cant change your friend, but just keep in mind that shes showing her true character right now. It may sound cliche, but someone that doesnt support you through your worst doesnt deserve you at your best. You aredoing the right thing by reaching out and talking about your feelings. Keeping them all bottled up will only harbor negativity. If you need to talk, then talk. Youre still so young, a lot of people your age probably wont understand eveyrthing youvebeen through, but there are people out there that care. Someone i considered my best friend for over ten years has yet to come and see me since my accident, but i cant change her or let that get me down because in the end it is her loss. I know its hard to feel alone, having to be im the hospital or going to dr appointments. Im still healing and i get tired from doing things like showering or folding laundry. But i know it isnt forever. One day this will all be behind us, and we will be stronger people for going through it all. Even if you feel alone, you arent. ((Hugs)) if you ever need someome to talk to let me know. Keep reaching out and keep talking.

by Laurie1112 on Aug 25, 2016, 01:56PM

You are a very beautiful girl. I am very sorry for the betrayal you’ve suffered from a good friend. I am so very proud of you though.

by Jhalgren on Dec 04, 2016, 07:10PM

Hang on! We are survivors and have to accept a new normal. It takes time! It takes baby steps so don’t be hard on yourself.