Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

I don know how to make it.

I don know how to make it.
by KellyPerez80 on Aug 01, 2016, 11:48AM

I don’t have alot of support at home. My husband has been at times awful in not being understanding that even tho I survived the crash, I am still dealing with it. I think he feels like I need to let it go and I’m trying but I can’t. From the depression, to anger, to resentment towards myself for doing this to myself, idk how much more I can handle.

Reply: I don know how to make it.
by KatyHollis on Aug 01, 2016, 07:43PM

I’m sorry to hear that you don’t have the support you need at home. Please find support outside the house. Call the social worker at your hospital to find resources. I’ve been there and I know how impossibly hard that phone call can be to make. You can do it and you need to do it. I didn’t have support either from my husband. You cannot “just get over” your depression and the emotional aftermath of your accident.

The hospital social worker should be able to point in the direction of resources available to you.

Find out if there is a support group that you can attend. I know that the hospital that my children were at offers a monthly group. I found support groups to be immeasurably helpful — it was such an important reminder that I was not alone as a survivor.

Call your medical insurance to find a therapist to talk to.

Most importantly, take a deep breath. Get outside if you can and go for short walks.

Write back.

You are not alone.
Katy

by KellyPerez80 on Aug 01, 2016, 10:02PM

I get out some. Read my profile story . I can’t walk and I get out very little cause my wheelchair or sitting up period causes pain. It is temporary but for right now it is what it is. I have a therapist that comes by once a week but I don’t feel that’s enough cause I don’t feel better talking about it. Thank you for responding. I appreciate all help!

by KatyHollis on Aug 03, 2016, 11:39AM

Hi Kelly,

Please call the hospital where you were treated and connect with the social worker there. The social worker should be able to give you additional resources — even though you are limited in your ability to get out of the house.

Do you think you need to find a different therapist? Just something to think about. Don’t stop with therapy. Think about your recovery (both physical and emotional) as running a marathon. It is going to be long and hard. You will get through it.

My accident was in 2007. I was injured with my children at our town’s fireworks show. Our family was devastated in the aftermath of the accident. Our physical recovery was long and required multiple surgeries. There were many days…months…that I thought I couldn’t do anymore. My life could not continue like that. It was all so hard and I didn’t see any way for things to get better. But somehow things did start to get better. It was a lot of work and, frankly, I’m just incredibly stubborn. I could not give up. Some days it was all I could do to get my kids to school. If I made it to the grocery store that was a big deal.

Your life can get better. And your life will get better.

by Laurie1112 on Aug 25, 2016, 01:51PM

I am so sorry you are not getting more support at home. I know that has to be hard. You have gone through something. Your feelings are valid. Get in a local support group with folks who get you.

by bmunsky on Sep 03, 2016, 07:49PM

Kelly,

Thank you for sharing. What you are doing right now. Sharing authentically about what’s going on during your recovery. Is a huge step in recovery and will help you to get what you want. When I was recovering I already felt like a burden to my family and anyone around me. So, I kept my feelings inside. I didn’t let anyone know that I cried everyday, was scared, , that I thought of suicide often, and that I was never alone, but felt alone all the time. After 7 years of looking like I was getting better then all of a sudden getting worse and over a 100 operations, I realized keeping all of my thoughts and feelings inside was preventing my body from healing. In many cases causing more physical damage. My point is you’re ahead of the game. By sharing yourself with others. If you haven’t already I would see if there is a local Trauma Survivors Network(TSN) in your neighborhood. Check out the TSN Next Steps Online class if there is not a local TSN in your area. Speaking with other trauma Survivors and hearing there stories gave me hope and helped me to save my life. I wish the best for you
By the way. I am one of the first TSN members and helped to start the TSN at its first trauma center, Univ of MD Medical Center Shock Trauma. I speak to patients and their families or friends in the Trauma center or over the phone. I would be open to speaking with you on the phone to support.you in your recovery. If you do not have a local TSN. Eileen Flores, Carolina Medical Center’s TSN Coordinator would set the call up. I hope you find the support you’re looking for.