Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Does anyne else experience this after a severe TBI?

Does anyne else experience this after a severe TBI?
by angelaaamathers on Sep 19, 2016, 06:15PM

I won’t get into the gorey details because i simply don’t know how to. But i suffered a very severe (ICP hit 37) traumatic brain injury on december 8, 2014. i was in a medically induced coma for 3 weeks. the doctors told my parents i would not survive. then after a week, they said id be a vegetable for the rest of my life. i’m not. i was in the hospital for 29 days, after being told i was doing so well i did not need rehab. i should be dead. i should be severely disabled. i remember the morning of my accident, but don’t remember leaving my house. i was dreaming the whole time i was out. and then next thing i know, im waking up in the hospital. ever since my injury, i have such a hard time deciphering reality, from dream. when im driving, i question if im actually driving, or if i had been hit by a car while driving, and im actually dead but still going through the motions. my memory wasn’t terrible until i started repressing all of it. i read a new study that says that actively trying to forget a trauma (any kind) leads to increased difficulty in memory. i hate how differently i operate now. and i dont understand any of it. its been almost 2 years. im doing well otherwise; engaged to a man that was there for me during my whole accident, we have a beautiful little 6 month old daughter, and im finally in college (im 20) to get my degree. and i am thankful everyday that it happened. but it doesnt make it less difficult. i just dont know how to be in control of my brain again. does it ever get easier? what kind of therapy can i seek out? a regular therapist does not help for me. but i know i need help.

Reply: Does anyne else experience this after a severe TBI?
by Bonnie on Sep 19, 2016, 08:46PM

Angela,
Don’t try to figure or solve everything all at once. You don’t need to. Try not to think or remember details. You’ll be alright . I promise

by fbedoya on Sep 29, 2016, 08:14PM

I too suffered a TBI while running and getting hit from behind by a vehicle traveling ~40MPH. I remember nothing from that day, and I suffered short term memory loss. I guess the biggest issue I have to deal with right now is recovering from an incomplete spinal cord injury, and the consequences from that.

I also am a single father of twin 5 year old boys. I wake up every morning and run through my routine for them. This life isn’t about me anymore, it’s about them…I’m going to always do it for them…

by annika on Oct 04, 2016, 07:40PM

You are in my thoughts and prayers