Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

EMS Helicopter pilot in head on car van accident

EMS Helicopter pilot in head on car van accident
by jamwil431 on Nov 26, 2016, 06:51PM

As a former EMS helicopter pilot I have seen many traumatic injuries from car accidents. I never thought I would be the recipient of a helicopter ride to the hospital. It is a different perspective lying horizontal with a c-collar on looking at the ceiling of the helicopter struggling to get a breath. On September 11, 2012 I was hit head on by a junk driver. I was on the passenger side of a 15 passenger van that took most of the impact. After the hit I found myself holding myself in the car with my left hand on the dash. I started to look at myself and noticed my right femur was significantly deformed, I have seen many patents before with this same injury. I could not move my right foot I didn’t know if it was still there. There were 4 other coworkers in the van with me and I could here one of them on the phone in the back calling for one of my companies helicopters. My other coworker was able to call his wife on the cell and then stopped speaking to her. I could hear her calling out to him, I wanted to reach for the phone but I was trapped. I just wanted to say that help was on the way. After what seemed like an eternity I heard the first siren. I actually felt sorry for the young paramedic that approached this horrible scene, He was shaking so bad with the needle that he didn’t even try to insert it, I wish he did because when the fire fighters started to cut me out the dash fell on my foot. I can’t even describe the pain at that moment. The good news is everyone in the van survived and the lady that hit us is still serving her sentence. We all continue to have our challenges, but everyday I try to get just a little better. I have worked with so many Paramedics, Nurses, Doctors and firefighters in my career. These are the people that truly care they deserve a standing ovation every time. Thank you all for the care you have given to me and so many others. I’m proud to say I have done my small part in transporting patients to the hospital and I am proud to have gotten to know some good friends along the way.

Reply: EMS Helicopter pilot in head on car van accident
by Deleted User on Feb 06, 2017, 06:51PM

Amazing story from a courageous person!! Keep going, you are on the right pathway :) P.S. If you still struggled with lawsuit and have hard time to pay bills, you should know there a solution for you. Find out if you are eligible to received pre-settlement funding at http://www.omvvf.com Wish you the best recovery little angel.