Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

I was shot through my chest by someone I love very much.

I was shot through my chest by someone I love very much.
by LaughBreatheMoveOn on Dec 13, 2016, 02:38AM

I don’t want to make it long. I just want to say that I am so thankful that eight months has passed. I never thought time would move on. I will say that my lover shot me with a .44 negligently. It went through right under my right breast and came out over my right shoulder. It took 4 hours for a helicopter to get to me. We live in the woods. My boyfriend, ex vol fire fighter immediately tried to help, and also calling the local fire dep’t and 911 calling to turn himself in. He didn’t mean to do it, but he did it and that’s that. I spent one month in the hospital, was a miserable time. I’m 25 and mentally felt 25. I wanted to be out doing summer stuff. I love gardening I love all of my household chores that I’ve split with the man who shot me for 7 years. But he was in jail and I was in critical care in the hospital. But I am a strong, stubborn and very much so ready to conquer whatever came my way. And I did. I was in the hospital for 1 month. 1 surgery, an emergency laparotomy. The bullet went through my liver, leaving a 2" laceration. The bullet missed all bones, which is a miracle. I was walking after 7 days. By the end of my hospital stay I was still terribly ill but also in such good spirits I could have fooled you anything so terrible had happened. Came home to our home, recovered by myself. Did one hell of a job. Boyfriend didn’t get charged with attempted murder, too much evidence and character witness to do so. He’s not a bad guy. He made a terrible mistake. Big difference. In fact, he’s moving back into our home with me in 3 day. I hope I get no bad flack from this. Just sharing my story as honestly as I can. Thanks for reading.

Reply: I was shot through my chest by someone I love very much.
by nreilly01 on Jan 10, 2017, 10:42PM

I commend you for forgiving. It will help you both heal. I wish you all the best.

by LaughBreatheMoveOn on Jan 11, 2017, 04:09PM

Thank you very much. I believe so, too. :)

by MBetts on Jan 19, 2017, 09:17PM

Sometimes being stubborn definitely helps the recovery process! Great journey of healing and moving forward; all the best in the new year!