Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

My step-son tried to murder me

My step-son tried to murder me
by bkg33 on Dec 22, 2016, 11:53AM

About 10 weeks ago, I came home from just another day at work. My 19-year-old step-son from a previous marriage was living with me temporarily. From here forward I will refer to him as “him.” He had been there almost 3-months at that point. My girlfriend was cooking dinner and I sat down in the living room to turn the TV on. Suddenly there was extremely loud music coming from upstairs. I looked to my left, towards the stairs, and I saw him… just standing there. Looking back, this was an obvious start to something horrible… but it didn’t seem obvious at the time. I said, “what is wrong with you??? Turn that music down!!” I wasn’t yelling, so much as responding with confusion and frustration as to why he was doing that. I get the impression he was looking for more from me… a response that would justify his next actions… but that’s all he got. He turned to walk upstairs, and my girlfriend turned to head into the backyard, to avoid conflict. I turned my attention back towards the TV, and resumed turning everything on. The music was still blaring, which I assumed was going to stop at any moment. I was wrong. From right behind me, I heard gun shots, and he started yelling at me, telling me how I ruined his life. I immediately got up from the couch to dive forward, never turning around, and yelling something like, “okay, okay, please stop…” As I was diving forward from a standing-up position, a bullet hit my right-femur. Worst pain I have ever felt up to that point. He pulled the trigger 11-times, from no more than 15-feet behind me, and miraculously only that one bullet hit me. Once I was hit, I fell to the floor. I was done. There was no fight in me for two simple reasons. One, my leg fucking hurt. Two, I knew he had a gun, and I was terrified to even look up at him; so I didn’t. I just lay there, on my right side, like a wounded animal. He immediately came over top of me and started stabbing me in my left-side, while continuing to yell at me. I thought I was being punched… had no clue a knife was involved. I said something along the lines of, “Please stop. I love you. Please don’t kill me.” I am a big guy — 6’6" @ 300 lbs… but I am no match for a gun, especially after already being shot. Those words were all I had. I was absolutely terrified to look up. I knew if I did, I would see a gun pointed at my head, and that would be the last thing I saw. My girlfriend came running in after hearing the shots. She saw standing over me stabbing me. She yelled. He yelled back at her and came at her and tried to stab her. Through what we can only imagine to be a moment of sanity, he backed off, and she ran for the front door. As she was leaving the house, she turned around to see him getting right back on top of me to stab me more. He stabbed me 15 times. One of the punctures went through my diaphragm and punctured my lung. I was laying on the floor of my home of 12 years, bleeding out, waiting to be finished. But he left. He stormed upstairs, still yelling, and fired one more shot, that traveled through several walls, into the kitchen, and out the kitchen window into the backyard. I didn’t know if that shot was meant for himself or my girlfriend. I wasn’t aware that she had escaped. I was in shock, and my brain wasn’t working quite right. Luckily he had left. The police showed up within minutes. My girlfriend ran to the neighbors and called 911. I didn’t know this at the time, so when I felt the coast may be clear, I grabbed my bloodied phone, and attempted to unlock it. Fail. A bloody touchscreen is near impossible to unlock. Siri to the rescue!!! “Siri, call 911.” It worked! The police were already out front by the time I made this call. It took what seemed like an eternity before the police actually came inside, and then yet another eternity before they allowed the paramedics to come in. The paramedics introduced me to a pain more painful than having my femur shattered by a bullet… being turned over by the paramedics, to get me onto the stretcher, after my femur explode…. now THAT fucking hurt. I was kept under for a week, and ultimately in the hospital for 3.5 weeks. My body heals just a bit every day, as does my mind. It has been a hard road, made even harder by remaining in the house where it happened. But I am alive. I don’t know why or how I was allowed to survive that awful day, but I did, and I thank God for it.

Reply: My step-son tried to murder me
by EileenFlores on Jul 15, 2017, 05:58PM

Thank you for sharing your survivor story. You are not alone. Survive. Connect. Rebuild. Consider this resource as well: National Center for PTSD: www.ptsd.va.gov They have an app and great resources for survivors.

by Supermommy on Aug 05, 2017, 12:03AM

Wow im sorry was he diagnosed with anything? cause my shitzoaffective (shitzophrenic manic bipolar) Husband was the sweetest most supportive husband and after taking xanax for a couple of days he out of no where snapped there was no argument he looked posessed his eyes lit up black as he choked me and then beat me next to our then 1 month old daughter and when i was able to run away he stabbed me in the back with a big kitchen knife i am so happy he missed my lungs and heart and am blessed with this life but i am broken hearted im inlove with him and feel like im mourning his death he is lost and still delusional and crazy i understand the confusion and hurt and pain from this all i feel its more emotional than physical :(

by bkg33 on Aug 05, 2017, 04:57PM

I do not know if he was diagnosed with anything or not, but to be frank I do not care. He is dead to me. The trail is finally coming up in a couple of months and I am ready to get that done and put this all in the past. I am sorry that happened to you, that is horrible. The last 10 months have been the most difficult 10 months of my life, but the silver lining is the near-death experience has opened my eyes up and changed my perspectives on things, and in the end I am a better man.

by Supermommy on Aug 06, 2017, 03:17AM

I understand and my husband is dead to me to but not in the im pissed way in the way of hes lost delusional and hallucinating was hes not the man i fell in love with he truely is sick and although u are hurt and pissed i want u to open ur eyes and mind and really think about if he was in his right mind or if he was delusional and truely loves u at heart ofcource prosecute and keep him of the streets but also dont hold the hatedred towards his true heart u can be pissed at what hes done but know if that who he really is inside cause i know my husband in his heart sane minded would never have done it and thats what breaks my heart cause i know he truely loves me and our baby and he doesnt even know what he did but hes gone never to be trusted again but this is ur girlfriends son so she will eventually visit in in a phycward try not to b upset by that she would never put u in danger but will want to see him and get him help u should try and get him shots of medicine cause they cant fake that and dont think its so cut and try my husband is out on bail they r letting him run the streets it should b attempted murder but the system is messed up its very scary