Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Twice in the same family Shooting victims

Twice in the same family Shooting victims
by beteku3886 on Apr 14, 2017, 04:51AM

Almost 34 years ago April 18, 1973, my daughters were walking home on a very beautiful, sunny Wednesday after school in a very lovely subdivision with sidewalks. They had on their Easter white dresses and white shoes. One daughter was 10 years old and my other one was 8 years old. First time walking home from school because i was a teacher at a private school and usually the bus brought them to me afterward. A man was driving around our neighborhood aiming a gun a people… shooting and killing an older woman on the next street. Then he drove across to another street and shot a 4-year-old and ran over her body. Her mother thinking when she saw her child in the street it was a hit and run… her trike had rolled into the street after he shot her. After this school was already out and the girls were walking home. He then approached them at the corner of a 4-way street and drove up slowly and shot my 10 year old and tried to shot my 8-year-old only his gun would not fire … He then drove on and shot another 10 year old who died at the scene. Her mother and I remain to this day best friends. He also shot another 10 year old who survived. He also confessed to a murder of another person at a convenience store. We had our first trail in 1974 and have since that time been writing letters to keep him in jail for the remainder of his life …My 10-year-old daughter was shot in the upper right femur and shatter the bone, My 8-year-old daughter had a complete nervous breakdown … On March 14, 2017, my 27-year-old grandson who has served our country in Special Forces for 9 years in both Korea and Afghanistan and was honorably discharged and has PTSD. My grandson was beaten, robbed and shot 3 times in the face and neck. He has survived. He was just taken off life support and still struggles every day with many effects of the wounds. My daughter is still in shock and we keep telling her it is a miracle and he has a purpose here on earth … The detective said it was just a matter of him being at the wrong place at the wrong time … They have not caught anyone … We as parents and grandparents and family of victims of crime share the reality of “it could happen to you” Thank you for letting me share this here on this page …

Reply: Twice in the same family Shooting victims
by EileenFlores on Jul 15, 2017, 05:21PM

I am so saddened to hear the pain that your family has experienced. No human should have to experience that. As you and your family continue to heal, please remember that you are not alone and that there are other trauma survivors who support you in the recovery process. Survive. Connect. Rebuild.