Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Teenage gunshot victim.

Teenage gunshot victim.
by Imapotatohobson on May 16, 2017, 05:45AM

On April 18, 2017, at 8:50 pm, while on spring break vacation my uncle was showing off his guns. They were both fully loaded, he kept them in a pair of boots in the living room, and he had taken a gun safety course a month before the accident. He had a .48 and a .22. He was showing them to my uncle while being intoxicated while I was sitting on the couch a few feet away from him. He was not being responsible and the gun misfired, causing the bullet to go through my left thigh, out right above my knee, and right back in below my knee, where it is now residing in my calf. It missed major arteries and bones but it had still caused tons of damage. As I type this I am still recovering. I have nightmares from the event and I have to take physical therapy. I missed prom, couldn’t get my drivers licence, and have to be on homebound for he rest of the school year. I’m trying to be positive and it has given me a new outlook on life but this I know will ruin and change me forever.

Reply: Teenage gunshot victim.
by aviashuler on Jul 06, 2017, 04:15AM

I was kidnapped robbed and shot three times with a .380. I’ve had to drop out of college for at least the next year. This incident will not ruin you but it will change your life just as my incident has changed my life. I have nightmares also. You are not alone I can promise you that. You will get your drivers license and you will go to prom!! Think postive thoughts and remember that we survived our incidents and accidents. I’m sure that we will recover fast and move on to live a wonderful life.

by EileenFlores on Jul 14, 2017, 11:46PM

I’m sorry you missed some opportunities like prom and getting your license, but I’m really happy for you for trying to move forward and look towards accomplishing your next goals. We’re cheering for you! Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

by EileenFlores on Jul 14, 2017, 11:48PM

Thanks for paying it forward to encourage others. Your story and your strength are inspiring! Survive. Connect. Rebuild.