Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

6 years 3 days

6 years 3 days
by MountainMan91 on May 26, 2017, 12:07AM

My name is Jason Prechtl and I am the survivor of a bike on car collision. My senior year of high school was as normal as anyone could ask it too be. Prom, girlfriend, graduation, it all went as planned. The next year though, with my freshmen year of college underway I began a slow decline, skipping class and church because I wrongfully thought it the right thing to do. The year began to pass and school was a wicked struggle, as one Sunday morning changed everything for me. One morning, at the age of 19, I kept my eyes closed pretending to be asleep so too miss church that day. With me then waking later than expected, I felt rushed. All the same, I rode my bike to the gym, without any problem. My workout had now finished and I prepared to ride my bike home: god had other plans. I watched as a couple cars passed, when I decided to turns the pedals riding onto the crosswalk… the next moments passed by in a blur. Next thing I knew, I had awoken from a 5 day coma with what came to be known as a Traumatic Brain Injury. I now have been in recovery for 6 years since that tragic, but personally significant, day and with every week passing by I feel so blessed to be alive. I wanted this post to be an introduction to me and my story and I am fully willing to tell you more if interested. Either way, as someone who was on the verge of death and now living with a TBI, I hope to find hope in the darkness of my situation.

Reply: 6 years 3 days
by Scott Singer on May 30, 2017, 01:27AM

I fell off my roof last year and had a severe brain injury. Brains seem to be the worst to hurt to me. It heals very slowly and nobody knows how much better you will get or when. I have been doing well but worry about how I will be after the year they say it will take. They are always impressed with my recovery. I am impatient though. You have come a long way. I cannot imagine going through what you have. I pray for your continued and hopefully accelerated recovery!