Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Spinal Cord Injury at 23

Spinal Cord Injury at 23
by Shanice Louw on Jul 21, 2017, 11:56PM

I am an incomplete spastic paraplegic with a neurogenic bladder. I have a spinal cord injury due to a tumor at the levels T6-T7. This happened in 2015 when I was 23 years old. I was in the last year of my University Degree and had only 3 months left when I had to cancel it. I had to learn how to walk again. The doctors told me not to have any hope to walk again. I was in Rehab for 8 weeks and there I regained movement and was able to come home using a walking frame. After alot of physio therapy and going to the gym after almost 2 years I went from using a wheelchair to using a walking frame to using crutches and now recently walking on my own for very short distances and I went back to complete my degree and graduated in April 2017. I go to the gym 4days a week to strengthen my muscles. It has been and still is a tough journey but I have got an amazing support system and a maricle working God. Nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it and fight like hell to get what you want. And most importantly keep your faith and hope alive.

Reply: Spinal Cord Injury at 23
by Itwillgetbetter on Oct 09, 2018, 04:59PM

You are very strong to have overcome unbelievable odds. I have been struggling to go to the gym I always went and wondering if you could give me any advice? Thanks, Jeff

by EileenFlores on Oct 17, 2018, 01:58AM

We’re cheering for you!!!! So proud of you for finishing your degree! You inspire all of us!

by bolenbaucher on Nov 15, 2018, 09:40PM

Thank you for being such a person of faith. You definitely are a testimony for others and myself. God bless you! rosie