Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Nearly Fatal Car V. Bicycle hit and run and Astronomical Medical Bills

Nearly Fatal Car V. Bicycle hit and run and Astronomical Medical Bills
by Jaysan09 on Oct 06, 2017, 04:37PM

On August 2nd 2017 I straddled my bicycle just like another. I remember it being about 6:45 am because I was putting my phone on the silicone holder and turned on Strava to document my time and route. It also has a neat function that if I were in an accident it would notify my emergency contact. I did not turn it on this morning for whatever reason. I clipped in to my pedals and began my 5.2 mile ride to work. I was nearly done with my ride and I stopped at the red light at Frankford and Eisenhower in Carrollton, Texas. Little did I know in less than a minute I would be fighting for my life. The light turned green and I started pedaling. The next thing I remember I have been in the ICU unit for 3 days. Although everyone that saw me mentioned I was coherent I had no recollection, Once I came to my girlfriend told me I was in a really bad accident and suffered major trauma. She told me that I crossed the intersection and a car ran the red light and t-boned me. The witnesses stated that when the car hit me I flew just as high as the traffic lights hanging above the roadway. The bike and I flew from one side of the 4 lane highway to the other. The driver kept going and never stopped even after I hit his glass and broke it with my arm. I was transported to the hospital with and open pelvis fracture and a vertical sheer fracture of the pelvis. The left part of my pelvis shifted upwards toward my body cavity. I also sustained a deep tear in the perineum from testicles to anus. I also sustained a left leg fracture as well as ligament damage on my right ankle. I have a T-5 fracture and nothing happened to my head due to wearing a helmet. I also suffered many lacerations over many parts of my body. After 16+ hours over a few days in the OR the Doctor’s pieced me back together. I ended up staying in the ICU 5 days and 25 days on the Trauma and Orthopedics floor of the hospital recovering from the massive injuries I sustained. I am now wheel chair bound as I can not apply full weight on my right ankle or left pelvis. I also have a colostomy and learning to cope with extreme Sciatica pain. What is hard for me to understand is I was doing everything right. I wore reflective equipment, followed the traffic rules and this guy ran me over and said the following morning when he called the police department stating he thinks he hit something or something hit him. I know his windshield was shattered as I had glass coming out of my right arm. 30 days and 676k in hospital bills and I have a lawyer and did everything I think I could. I was covered by the VA for health coverage but I never made it to my initial appointment so they didn’t cover me. I still feel like I am going to get stuck with majority of the hospital bills as his insurance paid state minimums of 30k and my policy did as well. It feels as if my lawyer does not want to get into litigation. Is there anyway to sue this guy to be responsible for the hospital bills and not me? Has anyone been though a trauma with astronomical medical bills? Thank for the input!

Reply: Nearly Fatal Car V. Bicycle hit and run and Astronomical Medical Bills
by TeamDogx3 on Oct 07, 2017, 07:18PM

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. In March I suffered similar injuries from being hit by a texting teen who drove straight into my lane and hit me head on. I was on my motorcycle. Feel free to message me if you have questions or just want to vent.

by Jaysan09 on Oct 09, 2017, 08:53PM

Im so sorry to hear about yours! How is your recovery going? I have a lot of unknowns I was told there is still a few more surgeries. :( Your X-ray looks exactly like mine. It is scary how similar it is/.

by TeamDogx3 on Oct 10, 2017, 03:01PM

I had outpatient surgery on Friday to remove a femur rod screw that was too long.

by Courtbrown96 on Nov 05, 2017, 11:39PM

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Mine was almost the same as yours except I was standing next to my car. I know all to well about medical bills due to my accident.

by TeamDogx3 on Nov 08, 2017, 06:22AM

So sorry to hear about your accident. How is your recovery coming along?

by Courtbrown96 on Nov 08, 2017, 11:58PM

Mine has been long I have a huge amount of setbacks