Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Having to fight to survive

Having to fight to survive
by Courtbrown96 on Nov 05, 2017, 11:43PM

It happened as just a regular day. It was November 11,2016 and it changed my life forever. I had just gotten off of work and my sister and I was getting our moms boyfriends daughter at the time. On our way to get her my car had overheated and I pulled over to the side of the road across the fog line. Everyone said I did everything that I was supposed to. My flashers were on but that didn’t help. On November 11,2016 I had gotten out of my car to see why it overheated. As I was trying to get back into my car a person wasn’t paying attention and she hit the back of my car and then me. My sister said I flew over my hood. I found out about my accident when I woke up in trauma ICU at a hospital near by a week later. I had to be airlifted and went into shock and had to be sedated because of all the pain. When I woke up I was in restraints and had a vent. My family told me that when I got to the hospital my right leg was barely attached. I had a c2 neck fracture, 2 back fractures, my right wrist, 2 fingers, my right hip, under my left knee and tore everything out of my right knee. I have gone through 9 surgeries and I’m still not done due to a blood infection after Christmas. I have been walking with help since the accident happened. I was told I was hit by a car traveling at 65 mph. My last surgery was September 19, 2017 and the doctor told me to expect another surgery due to everything being torn in it. I have no control over my right foot any more because I severed my nerve and tore my ligaments. I have started physical therapy but my knee is still too weak. she cussed me out for wrecking her car and she got improper lane usage. I am in so deep with medical bills and I wish I remembered my accident just to have closure. Does anyone have any advice on how they got through their accident or what happened to them?

Reply: Having to fight to survive
by Donna Allen on May 21, 2018, 04:37AM

I understand your challenges. I am a survivor of an airplane crash. I sustained major multiple bodily injuries which had greatly debilitated me for years. You can try to raise money for your medical bills by starting a crowd funding platform page at: www.GoFundMe.com . Check out my own GoFundMe platform page to get an idea how you can start your own platform: https://www.gofundme.com/HelpTraumaSurvivor1 Here are some supportive words from www.SurvivorInstinct.com: The Best Of The Survivors  When a person experiences tragedy  or their world is turned upside down,  they might feel like a victim.  They might place blame on other people  for their own predicament.  Some people shut down emotionally.  They may feel  overwhelmed and  defenseless.  Some people might get angry.  They might lash out and  abuse someone with words  just to cause injury  to anyone they can.  There are a few people  who are able to  reach within their own soles  to find different ways  to cope with their adversity.  Because they are the Best Of The Survivors  they create their own successful path  to emotional healing by  forming,  reshaping,  combining, or  altering  their old way of thinking  about themselves  and the world around them  and they reinvent themselves.  They meet the world  in a new fresh way  as they leave their  old limiting emotional baggage behind.  Once they shed  those annoying pounds of mediocrity,  they are able to move  in a periodic process of  growth and renewal. www.SurvivorInstinct.com

by Courtbrown96 on Jun 03, 2018, 08:41PM

Thank You so much for this I will definitely check it out.

by Courtbrown96 on Jun 03, 2018, 08:41PM

Thank You so much for this I will definitely check it out.