Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Surviving near death sepsis and ARDS

Surviving near death sepsis and ARDS
by Hannaht5 on Jan 04, 2018, 05:48PM

June 7th, 2017 i went to Children’s hospital of Philadelphia, or CHOP to get a nuss bar procedure done. The nuss bar procedure solves a chest deformity called pectus excavatum. It’s a minimally invasive procedure and i was barely nervous at all. Somehow, which were still not sure of the reason i caught life threatening sepsis, which is basically the body’s response to a terrible infection. My mom realized something was off with me after they sent me home after 3 days of being in the hospital and took me back. They soon realized something was wrong and thought I’ was overdosed on narcotics, sent me up to the ICU, and narammed me. Soon after they realized i had sepsis and began to give me oxygen and 8 bags of fluids to flush the sepsis out. I was soon after put on a ventilator and eventually VV Ecmo which is the highest form of life support, and my last chance at survival. The sepsis needed to be flushed out and caused MODS (multi organ dis function syndrome) and the fluids caused ARDS ( Acute respitory destress syndrome). I was the sickest person at the hospital the night i got sick and had less then 5% of A chance to live. I was IN the ICU for one whole month. I don’t have any lung problems now though which is great. . I somehow lived, even after battling depression the whole year before. My depression is now gone but i deal with anxiety, OCD And PTSD. It’s hard but better then depression. Recovery was also really hard with constant hair loss, pain and weakness. I had to relearn to eat, drink, walk, and do daily things like brush my hair and put cloths on. I was in PT all summer after i left the hospital and tried to rebuild my strength. I’m totally rebuilt no, except for the PTSD.

Reply: Surviving near death sepsis and ARDS
by Courtbrown96 on Jan 11, 2018, 01:46AM

I too had septis but from poor conditions at a nursing home after I lost the hospital. Mine was found a day after I had surgery

by EileenFlores on Jan 12, 2018, 06:47PM

Hi, Hannah You are very brave and I’m glad you are connecting with others in your recovery process. I highly recommend connecting with a local counselor. Also, this is a great online resource from the National Center for PTSD. https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/cope/i… Cheering for you today!

by Hanouna on Jan 27, 2018, 02:18AM

Hi Hannah, I hope and pray you are doing much better physically and mentally. I just want you to know that if and when you need to vent or have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. Stay strong!

by bmunsky on Jan 30, 2018, 10:49PM

Hi Hannah, I replied to your post earlier today. I found your story and read it. I had several times throughout my recovery. Any trauma can occur as and become a continous devastation to our life. In my reply to your thread about PTSD I shared a few actions you could take to take control of your trauma and the circumstances that show up as a result. To me trauma is a game, a serious and potentially deadly one. It’s up to us how it’s played.