Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Rolled down a mountain.

Rolled down a mountain.
by JenniferNash on Feb 16, 2018, 01:20AM

I had spent a great weekend with my husband. On our way home, November 12,2018 at 9:30 at night we had a horrible accident. I was driving up a mountain pass worrying about nothing but if I had gas to make it to the next station ( I wouldn’t have BTW) when I happened upon an elk that had been ran over. In my lane of course. No problem, I start to go around it like normal people so when up pops the lady who ran it over. She wasn’t In her car, nor were her hazard lights on. She was in the middle of the road, with only a cell phone as a light. I swerved to keep from running her over and my LandRover flipped 4 times down the mountain. I was knocked out the first roll Thank god. That was more than likely when I broke my neck. Two places, both in C2. I also crushed my arm, breaking it In 6 places. I was taken to a small hospital then airlifted to a larger one. I had surgery to repair my arm and now I have 3 plates and Lord knows how many screws. I only was able to remove the neck brace a week ago. I feel a lot of things, anger, guilt and sadness. I was a lumberjack before. I cut down trees with my chainsaw and hauled logs. Now I can’t lift more than 2 lbs before the pain gets to much. I want nothing more than to get my life before back. I didn’t deserve this. I was doing anything wrong.

Reply: Rolled down a mountain.
by Hanouna on Feb 17, 2018, 07:07AM

Hello Jennifer. I read your message while I was responding to Danielle, so I had to send you some words of support. You are 100% right, you didn’t deserve what happened, I am glad that you aren’t paralyzed but it still is a horrifying accident. I just hope that you are better than myself when it comes to patience, because I am so not patient at all, but while getting back to your normal is going to probably take time, try not to think so much about what you were able to do before. Take it day by day and try your hardest to concentrate on that goal of working toward getting stronger. i will certainly keep you in my prayers and happy to read that you got rid of the beck brace. When feeling down or sad try to dig deep inside and find whatever positive thoughts you can to persevere and keep your mind on your goal. If you find it hard to do, feel free to reach out. Have a beautiful pain free weekend.