Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Car accident

Car accident
by aweaver on May 16, 2018, 10:38PM

On May 7th 2016 me and my 2 kids and my son’s girlfriend were going to see Captin America Civil War. On our way to the movie theater we were t-boned by a Chevy duley going about 45-55 miles per hour. I do not remember being hit. My first memory was when I was in the helicopter being medivacted to VCU medical center and it was a quick second of a memory. I had to be cut out of my car. Apparently I was awake and cussing like a sailor but I have no memory of that. My children and son’s girlfriend were banged up but ok. My son broke his neck and 1 rib. My daughter had a grade 1 spleen laceration and a bruised lung. My son’s girlfriend had a very little pelvic fracture. They all had concussions. My injuries were a lot more. I broke my lower back L2-4, sacrum, basically shattered my pelvis, my left arm humerus, 4 ribs, and sternum. I had a grade 2 spleen laceration, liver and kidney laceration, bladder injury, traumatic brain injury with post traumatic amnesia and my lungs were shot. I had to have an external and internal fixator on my pelvis and a rod with pins on my left arm. I ended up with a chest tube for a short time. On May 25th I had to go to a nursing home for a month for rehab. That was veru difficult for me and i hated every bit of it. I was non-weight bearing on my lower extremities and my left arm. I had to have someone put me on a bedpan and wipe my butt. I had to have someone give me baths. All of my independence was taken away. The month of July I got to go home. I was confined to a wheelchair and had to sleep in a hospital bed in my living room and use a bedside commode. My family had to empty my toilet for me. I had to take baths at the kitchen sink because my wheelchair would not fit through my bathroom door. I could not ride in regular vehicles because my mobility was so bad and I still had the external fixator on my pelvis. The beginning of August I got my external fixator off. I then had to spend two weeks in a rehab facility to learn how to walk again. November 2016 I had to have shoulder surgery because I had 2 rotator cuff tears due to.the accident. I was walking unassisted by then and all the equipment was gone. I am still in physical therapy and am still struggling with issues frim.my.brain injury. I am back to work. I have walked the Ukrops 10k twice! I do not walk with a limp which the doctor is amazed with. I do still have issues with my left arm and am working on that. We still have not settled because the insurance companies are playing games. My son had to be put on medication for his anxiety and depression because of the accident. Life isn’t the same and will never be the same. I am still learning who the new me is and struggle.everyday with it. I have forgive the driver that hit us. He was only 16 and admitted blame at the time of the accident and made sure the kids were ok. I would love to write him a letter telling him I am ok but because we have not settled I am not allowed to make contact with him. This accident did bring me.and my husband closer and in a way save our marriage. I am driving again but i have a difficult time being a passenger in a car. I wish I knew how to include a picture to show all of you what my car looked like after tge accident. I am.glad I was driving a Toyota Highlander because it saved me and my kids life.

Reply: Car accident
by chris22202 on Jun 12, 2018, 08:06PM

Thanks for sharing! It has taken me two years to recover myself and it’s still not over. I definitely understand the riding issue. I couldn’t ride or drive myself for a while. Best of luck!