Trauma Survivors Network - provided by ATS

Survive. Connect. Rebuild.

A Program of the ATS

Alone in the Wilderness for 2 nights & days

Alone in the Wilderness for 2 nights & days
by gb94920 on Sep 15, 2018, 12:45AM

I was doing a day hike alone in the wilderness of Montana. I left my camp in the morning and expected to be back late in the afternoon. While descending a steep hill covered with trees, I was suddenly thrown sideways and heard the sickening smack of bone hitting wood. I saw that my leg was broken just above my ankle. But now the horror of my situation hit me; I was totally alone in true wilderness and had no idea when I might be rescued. My friends at the camp knew the trail I was on, and so I believed they would call the local Search and Rescue organization. But until they came looking for me, I was totally on my own. This meant I had to find a way to get through the following 2 nights and days with very little clothing, food, or water. I had to mobilize all my energy, will, and concentration to stay alive until rescue came. It took an unbelievably intense effort, and anything less could have meant dying there. Finally, on the third day, a rescue party found me, and I was helicoptered to the local hospital. I suffered the effects of severe dehydration, and my leg is mending, but I’m still grappling with the mental trauma. I’ve decided to seek counseling to understand how this event has changed my life and where I can go from here.

Reply: Alone in the Wilderness for 2 nights & days
by EileenFlores on Sep 17, 2018, 10:03PM

Wow. Thank you for sharing your survivor story. We are so glad that you found the Trauma Survivors Network online and I hope that you will find support from other survivors here. I am so glad to hear that you are also meeting with a counselor to help move forward in emotional healing as well. I encourage you to sign up for the upcoming NextSteps online group. It’s a 6 week course that helps you build resiliency after a traumatic event through weekly discussions and training. You can register for free here: http://nextstepsonline.org/ The next class begins: October 10. We also encourage you to read the Survivor Stories on the TSN website. You are welcome to share your own story and pictures there if you are interested. You can also follow TSN on Social Media: FB, Instagram, Twitter. We’re thinking of you today as you continue to heal. Eileen Flores eflores@amtrauma.org